The Duck Thread

Question: I have 2 Pekin hens, I have a 10 x 10 covered chainlink fenced pen. I am going to be getting some more ducks in May. How many can this enclosure hold. The older Pekins only stay in the pen at night. They are free range during the day. Once the ducklings get older I would like to move them into this enclosure and eventually they will all be together in there. But I am unsure how many could live in that sized enclosure comfortably. Any ideas?

Thanks!

If they free range the limiting factor will be their coop/shed at night. used as a run, 5. Never to exceed 8 if all are pekins. Even then at max capacity you will have waste issues and they will be crowded. Five should be the limit. If it is only a night time containment attached to their hut you could go up to ten if the hut allows for those numbers during inclimate weather.

Question: I have 2 Pekin hens, I have a 10 x 10 covered chainlink fenced pen. I am going to be getting some more ducks in May. How many can this enclosure hold. The older Pekins only stay in the pen at night. They are free range during the day. Once the ducklings get older I would like to move them into this enclosure and eventually they will all be together in there. But I am unsure how many could live in that sized enclosure comfortably. Any ideas?

Thanks!
A 10 X 10 sounds like a dog kennel . Very small for what you are going to be doing.

Question: I have 2 Pekin hens, I have a 10 x 10 covered chainlink fenced pen. I am going to be getting some more ducks in May. How many can this enclosure hold.  The older Pekins only stay in the pen at night. They are free range during the day.  Once the ducklings get older I would like to move them into this enclosure and eventually they will all be together in there.  But I am unsure how many could live in that sized enclosure comfortably.  Any ideas?

Thanks!

If they free range the limiting factor will be their coop/shed at night. used as a run, 5. Never to exceed 8 if all are pekins. Even then at max capacity you will have waste issues and they will be crowded. Five should be the limit. If it is only a night time containment attached to their hut you could go up to ten if the hut allows for those numbers during inclimate weather.

X2

If it is for nighttime only, you can go with a little more than if they were in it all the time... but housing does need to be spacious as well... and as said, the waste factor increases dramatically with each additional duck...

A 10 X 10 sounds like a dog kennel . Very small for what you are going to be doing.
It is a dog kennel. The ducks were given to me because my nephew had too many and thought I would enjoy them. I have enjoyed them but would like to add to my 2 hens. I am concerned that if something happens to one of them the other will be lonely so....I was going to add a few. They are only in the pen at night, during the day they have 10+ acres with a pond to play in.

Anyone know about the brooder plate? Do you put it under the box?
Thanks!

Just another option. I use a sigital temp controller and either a heating pad or 60 watt light bulb. The controller can be found on eBay for $10 or less. It's just a temp controlled switch that turns on the heat when temp gets too low and shuts it off at your set temp. Cheap and easy. I use it on my incubator as well.

We
love.gif
you, Julie Bird!!
hugs.gif
Aww, thank you. You're so sweet, RavynFallen. And you know I love you, too.

Back
Top Bottom