The Duck Thread

I was wondering, does anyone know anything about having chickens and ducks? I have three ducks right now (one drake and two females) and they are pretty well behaved. But I have been thinking about getting chickens as well, I've seen that other people have chickens and ducks and they seem fine but I just thought I'd ask.
Also if it makes any difference I have a huge yard and the chickens would have their own house.
And can I have a rooster as well?

I have two chickens, a goose, and six ducks. Everyone gets along just fine. They all operate as one flock.

Guys...

My husband just called me at work with some news. He just spontaneously bought a bunch of chicks (not ducklings) from the feed store...

-__-

What the heck am I going to do with chicks??? I know nothing about chickens. I don't even like them that much (bad childhood experience lol). We don't have a separate pen for them. It's the middle of FLIPPEN WINTER so they have to be INSIDE. We are already drowning in animals with our dog, ferret, three cats and 12 ducks! What was he thinking??? Grrrrrr! Oh I could just strangle him -__-

Sorry, just needed to vent.

Last edited:
Guys...

My husband just called me at work with some news. He just spontaneously bought a bunch of chicks (not ducklings) from the feed store...

-__-

What the heck am I going to do with chicks??? I know nothing about chickens. I don't even like them that much (bad childhood experience lol). We don't have a separate pen for them. It's the middle of FLIPPEN WINTER so they have to be INSIDE. We are already drowning in animals with our dog, ferret, three cats and 12 ducks! What was he thinking??? Grrrrrr! Oh I could just strangle him -__-

Sorry, just needed to vent.

Yikes! I'm getting chicks (chickens) this coming week but ummmm I mean... Not sure what to say to that... I'm sure you'll figure it out, but good luck. And who knows maybe they'll grow on you.

Chickens, hen to rooster ratio of 5:1 should be o.k. depending on how aggressive your rooster is. Handling the rooster while young might have some impact on his later behavior but it has been my experience that roosters will determine their own aggressiveness levels during mating season (which for chickens is pretty much year round).

Duck ratios are recommended at least to be 4:1 to avoid any overbreeding injuries of the females. Overall my duck ration is 17:5 and there has been no problem. However that does work out to about 4:1

I have 15 adult and teenage ducks and at least 5 are males (2 ducklings also hatched this week ) and we haven't had too many problems. We did have to get rid of a muscovy Drake because he was too rough but because they are free range in our yard with the chickens they tend to just form their own groups to hang out with. I am always chasing more females to get a better ratio but I am also a sucker for a duck and I seem to end up with more than I intended lol

They don't like the food soupy either. To wet. From blender or baby bullet with food smashed up or chicken crumble for right now I tryed one night. Because I didn't have time because of emergency to vets these week with my chick and rabbits.i will see in a few hours when it warms up how much of food with food processor they ate last nigh.

How did it go with your new food processor? Did your spoiled ducks eat it up??

​Yikes! I'm getting chicks (chickens) this coming week but ummmm I mean... Not sure what to say to that... I'm sure you'll figure it out, but good luck. And who knows maybe they'll grow on you.

I'm sure they will. Animals just have a way of forcing you to love them. Sighhhhhhhhhh just...chicks, man...

At least they're fluffy :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom