The Duck Thread

They will need to be separated with some sort of divider that lets them see each other but not touch. Once they are used to each other, you may be able to let them be together, unless there is a big size difference. It may be that they will need to be separated until they are close to the same size.

As the duck keepers, you and I get to protect our ducks by managing them and understanding their behaviors.

They will need to be separated with some sort of divider that lets them see each other but not touch.  Once they are used to each other, you may be able to let them be together, unless there is a big size difference.  It may be that they will need to be separated until they are close to the same size.

As the duck keepers, you and I get to protect our ducks by managing them and understanding their behaviors.
Sounds good, I was planning on doing that as well

Sounds good, I was planning on doing that as well

Good plan - I lose track of who is more acquainted with management methods and who is less.... Please keep us updated, we love reading about the littles, and photo's if you can.

In my flock, I have decided to take in rescues . . . so I do miss the pitter patter of tiny webbed feet.

Good plan - I lose track of who is more acquainted with management methods and who is less.... Please keep us updated, we love reading about the littles, and photo's if you can.

In my flock, I have decided to take in rescues . . . so I do miss the pitter patter of tiny webbed feet.
Especially with runners where you get the pitter patter in double time even when they stand still.
gig.gif

To the chicken people in this thread (yes I know it's the duck thread lol): how and when can you tell the sex of young chickens? What do you look for?

It depends on the breed some of them you just can really tell but if you have a breed that is easier to sex then you can check the wings if you don't want to vent sex, roosters tend to get their feather slower than hen so if you notice that some of your chicks are still pretty fluffy while the others have lots of feather starting to happen then you probably have a rooster. Please keep in mind I'm far from an experienced chicken owner I've only had chicks for a week but I've done a ton of research and YouTube video watching.

Last edited:
I notice from the pictures of freshly hatched ducklings that there are pine chips on the bottom of the brooder. The information I have read say to put down paper towels, cheesecloth or some other non slip material down to keep the ducklings from becoming straddle legged . I have some bed pads that you would use for elderly people can I put this on the bottom of the brooder to soak up any messes? Would I put this on the bottom over the pine shavings or just have pine shavings and no other materials in the brooder?

Will be getting 5 babies next week and trying to set everything up. I have the light adjusted at the correct temperature but was confused about the bedding in the floor of the brooder/box. Help please!

Thanks!

I notice from the pictures of freshly hatched ducklings that there are pine chips on the bottom of the brooder.  The information I have read say to put down paper towels, cheesecloth or some other non slip material down to keep the ducklings from becoming straddle legged .  I have some bed pads that you would use for elderly people can I put this on the bottom of the brooder to soak up any messes? Would I put this on the bottom over the pine shavings or just have pine shavings and no other materials in the brooder?

Will be getting 5 babies next week and trying to set everything up.  I have the light adjusted at the correct temperature but was confused about the bedding in the floor of the brooder/box.  Help please!

Thanks!

I've raised ducks and now chicks and each I time I just put about 1/4 to 1/3 of an inch of pine shavings on the bottom aslong as they are flaked and not fine because when they are young they will peck at the shavings just to figure out if it's good or not so fine shavings can be harmful especially if they've never seen shavings before. But really it's all up to what you feel comfortable with. But like I said I use flaked pine shaving and I'm quite happy with them.
I also don't recommend paper towels or anything that will get gross and soggy easily because then it will smell and you'll have to change them out at least once a day. Shaving get changed about every three days while they are young. Shavings will also hold the heat from the brooder light so they'll stay warm.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom