The Duck Thread

Hi guys, I did want to make a new thread but donate seem to be able to... I hope someone sees this here!
I have two female Alesbury cross ducks. Both started laying at the same time and have been going strong for about 6 months. Last year, we got them at the end of season so we're told not to expect many eggs till the summer (now-ish) however, they began laying up to two eggs each a day!
We recently went on a two week holiday and left my sister here to look after all the animals. She marked no change in behaviour or eating but about 4 days before we came home, they stopped laying, both at the same time. The weather here while we were away went, very suddenly, from very cold and wet to very hot and dry.
My best guesses are, that they're moulting,
They were pining (not happy about the change),
They're not happy about the sudden weather change.
Is there any other ideas? Or solutions? Anything I can do to get them laying again? To be honest, I'm not in a rush, if they need a break from laying. I just want to be sure they are happy and healthy!

Hi guys, I did want to make a new thread but donate seem to be able to... I hope someone sees this here!
I have two female Alesbury cross ducks. Both started laying at the same time and have been going strong for about 6 months. Last year, we got them at the end of season so we're told not to expect many eggs till the summer (now-ish) however, they began laying up to two eggs each a day!
We recently went on a two week holiday and left my sister here to look after all the animals. She marked no change in behaviour or eating but about 4 days before we came home, they stopped laying, both at the same time. The weather here while we were away went, very suddenly, from very cold and wet to very hot and dry.
My best guesses are, that they're moulting,
They were pining (not happy about the change),
They're not happy about the sudden weather change.
Is there any other ideas? Or solutions? Anything I can do to get them laying again? To be honest, I'm not in a rush, if they need a break from laying. I just want to be sure they are happy and healthy!

Sometimes they just stop. Most ducks don't lay year round. They usually stop for a month or so and start laying again

Back
Top Bottom