The Duck Thread

looked for it this evening to try to check the ring, found it next to the little bantam with her chicks this was after she chased it off this afternoon when it got close, i put some hay near the door, and put it back in the coop but it went straight outside, just checked in the darkness and its back next to the bantam, all seems quiet, there is a barrier in front of the area to stop the other chickens eating her food, which she can get through, so im surprised to see that the duck did too, the gaps are only 70mm (3" ish) apart.
So pretty, and adorable sitting by his new friend.

Beautiful pictures. I have 12 hens and am planning to get 6 more this spring. I am also planning to get 2 ducklings. I don't know anything about ducks but am looking forward to giving them some love too. I am enjoying this thread.

Beautiful pictures. I have 12 hens and am planning to get 6 more this spring. I am also planning to get 2 ducklings. I don't know anything about ducks but am looking forward to giving them some love too. I am enjoying this thread.

Ducks are great! They are cute and personable and funny and they like people; they really like people with food...They are messy though, I'll admit. Two ducks isn't so bad though.
Ducks can imprint on each other, most of the time they imprint on each other - they are inseparable. They QUACK QUACK QUACK if separated - but they will never really be separated by choice, so no worries.
Hmm, what else? Are you getting girl ducks, boy ducks, or a mix? Girl ducks can be loud, but a lot of the time it's only because
a) They're separated
b) They want food
c) They see you coming up the driveway and quack to be let out of their pen.
I'm probably missing the, you know, important stuff.. Just ask if you have any questions! Oh - contrary to popular belief, ducks don't need a pond to be happy. They like swimming, but they need water that's deep enough that they can dunk their heads in. Kiddie pools work fine for swimming.

Good morning -I'm not sure how to start a new thread - so I hope some one will see this and maybe hve any help for me -I have three ducks a male Ancona a female Ancona and a female Rouen duck.
They were hatched last spring and were GREAT layers even thru early winter - however since December even before Christmas they have not payed a single egg! I don't know what's going on. They chickens have even started laying again. I leave out oyster shells and layer chicken feed all day (they have gotten poultry feed as well but not for a little while now as they don't carry the feed at the store closest to me) they have water in a heated bucket so that's available all day - I have grit out for everyone now and they all including 8 chickens get BOSS every am and pm for some protein- IF they are hiding them they are magicians because I can. It find them. Most days they are in a decent sized runand they are no where to be found. Any thoughts would be very helpful as there isn't much info on line about ducks

Good morning -I'm not sure how to start a new thread - so I hope some one will see this and maybe hve any help for me -I have three ducks a male Ancona a female Ancona and a female Rouen duck.
They were hatched last spring and were GREAT layers even thru early winter - however since December even before Christmas they have not payed a single egg! I don't know what's going on. They chickens have even started laying again. I leave out oyster shells and layer chicken feed all day (they have gotten poultry feed as well but not for a little while now as they don't carry the feed at the store closest to me) they have water in a heated bucket so that's available all day - I have grit out for everyone now and they all including 8 chickens get BOSS every am and pm for some protein- IF they are hiding them they are magicians because I can. It find them. Most days they are in a decent sized runand they are no where to be found. Any thoughts would be very helpful as there isn't much info on line about ducks

Up in the top left is a tab that reads, Start a new thread.........

Cheers!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom