The Duck Thread

It was a beautiful evening and I got to spend some time with the ducks while the sun was still high. Pocahontas came and visited. As did Roxette... And Ettie. Casey swung by for a brief visit. Then it was snooze time. Here are Entie (front) and Ettie (don't worry, we have a hard time keeping their names straight.) And here is a rare moment where Kaine is being the sweet boy he can be... Then right back to normal :th
@Tevyes Dad I love your dux!!! Even naughty Kaine... ;)

Last edited:
It was a beautiful evening and I got to spend some time with the ducks while the sun was still high. Pocahontas came and visited. As did Roxette... And Ettie. Casey swung by for a brief visit. Then it was snooze time. Here are Entie (front) and Ettie (don't worry, we have a hard time keeping their names straight.) And here is a rare moment where Kaine is being the sweet boy he can be... Then right back to normal :th
I was all in SquEEEEEEEEEEEEEE mode looking at these ducks of soft then I burst out laughing at the last. Love it.

@Tevyes Dad I love your dux!!! Even naughty Kaine...
wink.png
X2!!

I didnt know that thanks! They are all great!
Me neither and thank you. Most of the ducks you see pictures of most of the time are in their first year (because people are really excited about them then). After that, they may love their ducks just as much, but they don't post pics as frequently. So I had to learn this from experience... You can see my initial learning and semi-freakout here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/971646/noir-is-somewhat-blanc

Pocahontas is a pure Cayuga, but she is old enough to have quite a few snow feathers on her.  They develop on all ducks with the extended black genes.  In my case, my Cayuga, Blue and Black Swedish and Blue, Chocolate and Black Runners.

Wow okay. Im still learning genetics but would my black or brown Muscovy have it or my east Indies if I ever get some that survive the trip?

Wow okay. Im still learning genetics but would my black or brown Muscovy have it or my east Indies if I ever get some that survive the trip?
My understanding is that since it is the extended gene, it only affects females. Drakes getting "snow feathers" are considered poor breeding stock. Your East Indies girls will definitely have this. I don't think that it applies to Muscovies since they are not Mallard derived and have their own set of genes. It also doesn't apply to "brown" ducks like Khaki Campbell which are brown because of the Brown Dilution gene vs the Chocolates which are brown because of Extended Black with Brown Dilution.

The best post I have seen so far on this is here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/410593/understanding-basic-colour-genetics-mallards-derivitives

My understanding is that since it is the extended gene, it only affects females.  Drakes getting "snow feathers" are considered poor breeding stock.  Your East Indies girls will definitely have this.  I don't think that it applies to Muscovies since they are not Mallard derived and have their own set of genes.  It also doesn't apply to "brown" ducks like Khaki Campbell which are brown because of the Brown Dilution gene vs the Chocolates which are brown because of Extended Black with Brown Dilution.

The best post I have seen so far on this is here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/410593/understanding-basic-colour-genetics-mallards-derivitives

Thanks for the info. There is so much to learn. I've been trying to learn Muscovy and Wyandotte genetics and the silkie, frizzle, sizzle...... I'm normally pretty good at that kind of learning/mesmerising but its still taking a bit lol.

Anyone have snowy mallards? Ideal is sending 2 females with the reorder. I really hope the heat pack, grow gel, and extra bodies and weather helps this trip. Also trying out the heating pad brooder this week before they get here. Hate the heat lamps.

Back
Top Bottom