The Duck Thread

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ZakoHero, Jan 17, 2013.

1. saint

saint New Egg

Jul 6, 2014
    I call them apostles cos anywhere u go or point to they would follow you

2. LittleBlu

LittleBlu Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2014
    Oakhurst, Ca
    Yes! What I've read about is someone on here had the same problem with introducing new ducks I to a flock so it should be the same about reintroducing. She had the two pens separated only by a single layer of hardcloth wire. This let them see each other be around each other but can't touch each other. That way they could watch and know the duck before bringing it back into the flock.I believe it was 3 weeks after letting them know each other through the fence she put the duck into the flock

3. weeflock

weeflock Out Of The Brooder

Thank you :)

4. LittleBlu

Jul 9, 2014
    Oakhurst, Ca
    I hope it all works out

5. TuckyDucky28

TuckyDucky28 New Egg

Aug 6, 2014
    You probably already made a pen but a tip if you are going to make more is to build I frame with 2\4 and use a staple gun to staple fence on the inside then nail or screw the frames together. Hope I helped!

6. mylesmuscovys

mylesmuscovys Out Of The Brooder

Jul 6, 2014
    Is 6 and a half pounds a normal weight for a mature muscovy drake?

7. Alice28

Alice28 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2014
    Drakes can get to be 15lbs. Depends on the parents, some are smaller then others. If your drake is only 6 lbs and full growen, he would be on the small side. Muscovy ducks breed for meat are bigger. This is my understanding from Storeys guide and the people I have talked to.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
  8. LittleBlu

Jul 9, 2014
    Oakhurst, Ca
    Okay can I give my ducks any human medicine? Baby medicine? They're 3 days old and I believe they caught a cold last night because of their water episode. The could fit into their old watering bowl and would get soaking wet and freezing cold. Last night I dried them 4 separate times and then made them a new watering bowl only their heads can fit in! Ones dribbling some when she eats and the other has cold feet I have them under heat but they don't seem to stay warm

9. luvorng

luvorng Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2014
    Austin
    Are their any particular breeds or duck that are very friendly or would make a good pet?

10. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    At three days old their brooder needs to be 90 degrees F, with a little room for them to move away to a place slightly cooler, like 85.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by