The Duck Thread

Lol I have a funny story. I was doing some bonding time with the ducks today and the ducks and I were lying down. They fell asleep at my side, and I guess seeing them sleep made me tired, because we all ended up taking a big nap! I hadn't even realized I had fallen asleep. So far I find the ducks are much more curious than chickens. The ducks run all around trying to find the best place to go to sleep, they are pretty comedical. They are super cute and I am starting to see their different personalities emerge. :)

Lol I have a funny story. I was doing some bonding time with the ducks today and the ducks and I were lying down. They fell asleep at my side, and I guess seeing them sleep made me tired, because we all ended up taking a big nap! I hadn't even realized I had fallen asleep. So far I find the ducks are much more curious than chickens. The ducks run all around trying to find the best place to go to sleep, they are pretty comedical. They are super cute and I am starting to see their different personalities emerge.
smile.png
A wise man once said..."Spend enough time with birds and you will become a better person."
old.gif

Hey guys, I have a quick question. To train the ducks to not bite when they get older should I just ignore their bites or is there something I should do? I ignored my chicks, and they are fine, don't know if it's the same with ducks. Thanks :)

I have a question for the long term duck keepers on this thread also! My muscovies are laying eggs! In December in Manitoba! What the heck is going on? Will they lay again in the spring? Has anyone experienced this? It has been a mild winter so far.

Hey guys, I have a quick question. To train the ducks to not bite when they get older should I just ignore their bites or is there something I should do? I ignored my chicks, and they are fine, don't know if it's the same with ducks. Thanks
smile.png
Bites and nibbles are 2 distinct things, all ducklings will nibble since that's the only way they have to test things since they don't have arms. I usually don't do much about that. but an out and out bite and I've not had this with young ducklings I usually just keep them to where they don't have opportunity like I don't let them up around my face if they bite it or iIkeep my hands from being close to where they can bite them. Nibbles don't hurt much.

I have a question for the long term duck keepers on this thread also! My muscovies are laying eggs! In December in Manitoba! What the heck is going on? Will they lay again in the spring? Has anyone experienced this? It has been a mild winter so far.
And that maybe why mild winter. They should take a break like normal and start back laying in the spring. So far even this far south mine haven't started back yet. but last year I did have a few eggs late Jan which was a first here.Seems alot of folks are even seeing goose eggs already and that is very unusual.

Back
Top Bottom