The Duck Thread

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ZakoHero, Jan 17, 2013.

1. backyardflock1

backyardflock1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2014
    Massachusetts
    Lol I have a funny story. I was doing some bonding time with the ducks today and the ducks and I were lying down. They fell asleep at my side, and I guess seeing them sleep made me tired, because we all ended up taking a big nap! I hadn't even realized I had fallen asleep. So far I find the ducks are much more curious than chickens. The ducks run all around trying to find the best place to go to sleep, they are pretty comedical. They are super cute and I am starting to see their different personalities emerge. :)

2. jtn42248

jtn42248 Overrun With Chickens

A wise man once said..."Spend enough time with birds and you will become a better person." [​IMG]

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Mountains of Western N.C.
    Was that wise man you jtn? I bet it was. [​IMG]

4. jtn42248

jtn42248 Overrun With Chickens

I am sworn to secrecy...though I would not claim to be wise.

5. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Oh but you are I can tell by your postings. wisdom of the ages. or is that the aged lol

6. backyardflock1

backyardflock1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2014
    Massachusetts
    Hey guys, I have a quick question. To train the ducks to not bite when they get older should I just ignore their bites or is there something I should do? I ignored my chicks, and they are fine, don't know if it's the same with ducks. Thanks :)

7. blkjak

blkjak Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2014
    Manitoba Canada
    I have a question for the long term duck keepers on this thread also! My muscovies are laying eggs! In December in Manitoba! What the heck is going on? Will they lay again in the spring? Has anyone experienced this? It has been a mild winter so far.

8. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Bites and nibbles are 2 distinct things, all ducklings will nibble since that's the only way they have to test things since they don't have arms. I usually don't do much about that. but an out and out bite and I've not had this with young ducklings I usually just keep them to where they don't have opportunity like I don't let them up around my face if they bite it or iIkeep my hands from being close to where they can bite them. Nibbles don't hurt much.

9. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    And that maybe why mild winter. They should take a break like normal and start back laying in the spring. So far even this far south mine haven't started back yet. but last year I did have a few eggs late Jan which was a first here.Seems alot of folks are even seeing goose eggs already and that is very unusual.

10. blkjak

blkjak Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2014
    Manitoba Canada
    Thanks Miss Lydia. The temp changed today so hopefully the ducks will take a break now. I would really like some ducklings in the spring.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by