The Duck Thread

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ZakoHero, Jan 17, 2013.

1. City farm

City farm Overrun With Chickens

Jul 6, 2012
    Mesa, Arizona U.S.A.

Wondering, how do you store your duck egg's?
  2. Alice28

Alice28 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2014
    I know this wasn't for me, but will still answer. If the egg needs washing (poop on it) I put it in the fridge after I wash it. If no wash is needed, I leave it out on the counter. Either way, it's gone in a day!
  3. Onlyducks

Onlyducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2014
    Technically, if you don't wash the eggs, they don't need refrigerated (as Alice28 said she does). They may not need refrigerated even after washing, but I generally do refrigerate them. Washing may remove the protective film on the outside of the egg and make it easier for salmonella to flourish. However, I rarely worry too much because most of the reason for refrigerating eggs is due to the risk of salmonella. Unless you are using the eggs raw, the cooking generally kills the salmonella bacteria.
  4. K Epp

K Epp Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2012
    North Georgia
    My drake chased my 40lb tom turkeys around. That drake found a new home because the turkey wasn't the only one he wanted to chase.

New drake and ducks live in the barn with chickens, turkey, goose and goats. I think it would depend how they are raised. My tom is a easy going guy do no personality conflicts. My turkeys do wade up to almost their bellies in the water. I wouldn't mix them until the turkeys are big enough not to drown themselves in the ducks water.
  5. hennible

hennible Overrun With Chickens

Hi guys can I ask you a question about duck eggs? My ducks just started laying I have to Rouen hens and one rouen blue Swedish cross...
    So the top two are off-white and I'm pretty sure they're from the pure bred hens, The third is a pale blue and I'm guessing that's from the cross the lower three eggs are chicken eggs... What do you guys think?
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2015
  6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life Premium Member

Do you have EE's the 3rd down from top looks like an EE egg. Just like the bottom one does I could be wrong though maybe blue swede mixes lay blue eggs??
  7. hennible

Yes I have EEs. But even the shell texture is different :/ Does that make sense? The shells are much smoother, and like satin paint rather than egg shell paint lol
    I just read blues Swedish lay tinted blue eggs...
  8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life Premium Member

There is diff a difference in egg shell look and feel with chickens and ducks hard to see in a pic though so you may very well have a beautiful blue duck egg. How pretty.[​IMG]
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2015
  9. attimus

attimus Chillin' With My Peeps

If that's a blue duck egg I'm jealous. I have a couple black Swedish lined up for may. Wonder if they will do the same?
  10. hennible

Just used a white duck egg and the suspected blue duck egg in some waffles... the blue eggs are definitely duck eggs!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by