The Duck Thread

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ZakoHero, Jan 17, 2013.

1. kalibus330

kalibus330 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2014
    He was the last of my original batch of 4 (2 dying from a freeze a few years ago when I first got birds and the other dying from when my roosters from my first batch of chickens went crazy) I got 2 more from tractor supply hoping they were girls but they weren't so I gave them away because they also tried to rape my chicken. I have no idea what got the duck he was gone when we woke up. Even if he got out of the pen he couldn't have ran away he has a messed up leg (by that I mean he has a little hobble because he hurt his leg when he was younger) so most likely a hawk got him. (Coyotes don't come near because of the horses we have)

2. needlessjunk

needlessjunk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2014
    Round Rock, TX
    A lonely drake will mount chickens. That is just what they do. Even a drake that has enough females may mount a chicken. You will need to introduce your ducks and chickens slowly because there can be problems. You are getting just females this time, correct? Also a single duck is never a good idea because they get very lonely and depressed. If anything happens to one you need to get another. I'm sorry for your loss.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2015
  3. kalibus330

kalibus330 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2014
    Yes just females

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life Premium Member

5. Nikki816

Nikki816 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    New Holland, Ohio
    There is 6 days difference. Ducky surprise hatched on a Wednesday and the others hatched/shipped the following Tuesday afternoon.

6. Lizzy456

Lizzy456 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 8, 2015
    I'm wondering if ducks and geese can eat carambola(starfruit) leaves , as we have two trees that aren't producing.
    I've heard the fruit contains oxalic acid but I wanted to know about the leaves.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2015
  7. Miss Lydia

8. Lizzy456

Lizzy456 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 8, 2015
    Thanks !
    I'll try , but I'm inclined to assume the leaves might have a little oxatic acid if the fruit do.

9. Miss Lydia

Seems it may, if in doubt keep them from them.

10. City farm

City farm Overrun With Chickens

Jul 6, 2012
    Mesa, Arizona U.S.A.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by