The Duck Thread

Child friendly seems to depend mostly on how the ducks are reared. I spent quite a bit of time socializing mine, and they have been around toddlers and little kids and are always fine.

Do you have any recommendations for layers and child friendly?

From my research,most breeds are child-friendly,but almost always depends on the duck and how it is raised.I'd say Campbells and Magpies are good for laying , but this is just from my research , as my first ducks are coming in mid May.

Get whichever ducks are most interested in and handle them at much as possible.  My ducks are use to my kids screaming and going nuts so they don't get scared.

Haha that's hilarious!!! Well I think I'll get a Pekin, a cayuga, and a swedish
1f606.png
just don't know what color swedish
1f601.png
1f601.png
1f601.png

Just incase no one else knows... Ducks love showers...

At this size they are still dirty after a swim, the tubs just not big enough, so after their bath I shower them off, they really seem to love it!

I know, now that its warming up every morning when I fill up their water I give the ducks a little sprinkle with the water hose ;-)

Sorry bout the edit, need to preview more bf i hit submit ;-)

Last edited:
Do you have any recommendations for layers and child friendly?
khacki and muscovy for good layer and since Khacki are a less calm breed, pekins or rouin for kid friendly and good layers. Thats why I got so many different breeds to see which ones I liked the best.

Sorry for the long post just wanted to share my story of my wonderful babies, nobody I work with cares about ducks or chickens and I've been having a lot of fun with them and found this site recently when looking up what breeds of chicks and ducklings I have. I'm a first time mom of ducklings and chicks. We're starting our chicks inside too. My standard size greet me and pile on me for attention like the ducks except sometimes they peck especially my tattoos
1f61e.png
but they like attention too, my bantams aren't as friendly though guess because they're so tiny. Besides who can resist the cute duck face they start of adorable and stay that way grown
1f60d.png
1f603.png
I love being duck mom all that cleaning is worth it

welcome, congrats on your new babies. Chickens LOVE anything dark colored and will peck things to see if its food, so dont take it personally, they will learn. You can offer them a yummy treat in your hand to distract them from it.
Ducks are so cute, despite the mess, its totally worth the beautiful grownups they become, the eggs, and all the "I love you Mommy" head bobs when their older. This forum is awesome, im glued to it when Im not working or taking care of my babies:)

Looking forward to pics of yours, thats our fav part :)

Jen Saulsberry

Oh my goodness what adorable pics!!!! I've wanted ducklings since I was a kid finally have my first batch of 5. 2 Rouen (look like mallard ducklings came from tsc so I assume Rouen) they're the youngest. The first 3 we got were 2 runners 1 light brown 1 dark brown cocoa and pebbles and our biggest duckling, I believe a Swedish he started off black with a yellow chest and a little yellow on the face is jumper. He earned his name because he used to jump up at the side of the tub to say hello. He has outgrown everyone by quite a bit. We've had 3 over a month and jumper hasn't quacked so I'm thinking he's a drake. Cocoa and Pebbles are starting to make some quack sounds. I absolutely love these ducklings, they're such sweethearts. They love attention. They know my voice and start chattering when they hear me they get louder and louder until I go visit then I get greeted with everyone standing up wagging tails and talking to me. They aren't afraid of me at all, pebbles my runner climbs into my hands and tries to climb up my arms just to get out, she tries to sit on my shoulder. She will fall asleep on me loves to snuggle. They all get really close to my hand and arm and stretch their necks out like giving a duck hug. They love to have there faces and bills rubbed. When holding them I get happy chatter tail wags and affection. I am going to have to try them in the shower I bet that will be adorable. Ducky and dodger our 2 youngest weren't as friendly to start with they'd run away and cry out, but now are just as friendly. If I'm cleaning chick tubs or handling chicks there all standing up watching and waiting for me to come play with them, jumper is mischievous he will get my pant leg and pull on it to get my attention if he can reach it. I'm always greeted by them when I come home, they know the sound of my car and start talking before I'm even in the door. I think they have adopted me as mom. I'm not looking forward to moving them outside I'll worry about them. I plan to use a covered chainlink dog lot with pallets around the bottom just for extra protection. I've let them play in the floor of the room there in and they stay right with me when I'm walking around if I sit in the floor I have a duck pile on my lap. I think all but 1 is a girl, I wouldn't mind if they're all boys, got these just for pets, pretty sure most are girls so eggs are just an added bonus. These babies have been so much fun, unfortunately they're outgrowing there tub so they will have to go outside and my house will be quiet with no duck chatter. Yes they're messy I clean the tub and give fresh shavings every day but its been worth it they reward me with lots of love, I hope they stay like this when they're outside. Jumper hasn't quacked at all it sounds like he whistles and when you imitate the sound he makes he will talk and talk. I don't know if they have any feeling in there bills but ours love to have them rubbed. They will lay there heads on our hands just to get rubbed. They climb in our hands to be picked up and enjoy being held. They have been so sweet and loving almost like dogs especially when I see there tails wagging. They're even jealous of each other and will do things to get attention. I recommend ducklings to anyone. I think we've got lucky with ours being so friendly because we have kept them inside and handled them and spent a lot of time with them

Here is my covered dog kennel, we started with that when they were small, then just put them in a cage at night to protect from foxes, racoons and cats till we got the duck house built to keep predators out.

I just put our 5 wk old buff chicks out there this morning, just for the day to get them used to living outside.

My mallard was sitting on some eggs last night but one busted somehow and tje bigger ones had an egg crushing/eating party. So I decided to get the chicks acclimated to their future house with the ducks and put a box up so they cant escape through the links, and they are still small enough to fit through my wire fence I have up for the ducks to free range the back yard during the day.

Here is my cutie babies

I have 2 pekin ducks. a girl and a boy they are 2 years old. the girls egg shells have been missing or broken(I'm not sure which) when she lays eggs. I feed her Mazuri maintenance food and kale. and egg shells when we have them. she doesn't like oyster shells. I'm guessing it's a calcium deficiency. Is there a supplement I can give only her to help her egg shells to form cotrectly? I also don't wanna get my boy sick by having too much calcuim that is why I dont get the breeder food

I save all my chicken egg shells, rinse them to get all the white and lining out, bake them till they are dry, then grind them up with my coffee grinder and sprinkle over their pellets.

I read oyster shell is bad for ducks, not being bioavailable, it builds up in their livers and causes health problems. (Someone correct me plz if this isnt accurate)

I am sure you could switch to a feed with a higher calcium content as well. I always read and save all the lables of the feeds I buy for comparison, and you cant always get them online.

Hope this helps,
Jen

Back
Top Bottom