1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

The Duck Thread

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ZakoHero, Jan 17, 2013.

1. Jdc361

Jdc361 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2015
  2. needlessjunk

needlessjunk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2014
    Round Rock, TX
    Get whichever ducks are most interested in and handle them at much as possible. My ducks are use to my kids screaming and going nuts so they don't get scared.

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Child friendly seems to depend mostly on how the ducks are reared. I spent quite a bit of time socializing mine, and they have been around toddlers and little kids and are always fine.

4. Lizzy456

Lizzy456 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 8, 2015
    From my research,most breeds are child-friendly,but almost always depends on the duck and how it is raised.I'd say Campbells and Magpies are good for laying , but this is just from my research , as my first ducks are coming in mid May.

5. Jdc361

Jdc361 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2015

Haha that's hilarious!!! Well I think I'll get a Pekin, a cayuga, and a swedish[​IMG] just don't know what color swedish[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

6. saulsberry

saulsberry Out Of The Brooder

Mar 29, 2015
    Virginia
    I know, now that its warming up every morning when I fill up their water I give the ducks a little sprinkle with the water hose ;-)

Sorry bout the edit, need to preview more bf i hit submit ;-)

Last edited: Apr 5, 2015
  7. saulsberry

Mar 29, 2015
    Virginia
    khacki and muscovy for good layer and since Khacki are a less calm breed, pekins or rouin for kid friendly and good layers. Thats why I got so many different breeds to see which ones I liked the best.

8. saulsberry

Mar 29, 2015
    Virginia
    welcome, congrats on your new babies. Chickens LOVE anything dark colored and will peck things to see if its food, so dont take it personally, they will learn. You can offer them a yummy treat in your hand to distract them from it.
    Ducks are so cute, despite the mess, its totally worth the beautiful grownups they become, the eggs, and all the "I love you Mommy" head bobs when their older. This forum is awesome, im glued to it when Im not working or taking care of my babies:)

Looking forward to pics of yours, thats our fav part :)

Jen Saulsberry

9. saulsberry

Mar 29, 2015
    Virginia
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here is my covered dog kennel, we started with that when they were small, then just put them in a cage at night to protect from foxes, racoons and cats till we got the duck house built to keep predators out.

I just put our 5 wk old buff chicks out there this morning, just for the day to get them used to living outside.

My mallard was sitting on some eggs last night but one busted somehow and tje bigger ones had an egg crushing/eating party. So I decided to get the chicks acclimated to their future house with the ducks and put a box up so they cant escape through the links, and they are still small enough to fit through my wire fence I have up for the ducks to free range the back yard during the day.

[​IMG]

Here is my cutie babies

10. saulsberry

Mar 29, 2015
    Virginia
    I save all my chicken egg shells, rinse them to get all the white and lining out, bake them till they are dry, then grind them up with my coffee grinder and sprinkle over their pellets.

I read oyster shell is bad for ducks, not being bioavailable, it builds up in their livers and causes health problems. (Someone correct me plz if this isnt accurate)

I am sure you could switch to a feed with a higher calcium content as well. I always read and save all the lables of the feeds I buy for comparison, and you cant always get them online.

Hope this helps,
    Jen
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by