The Duck Thread

Sorry, again I don't have a full idea on what the go is with inbreeding. But that is how you make a quality line. As of yet I don't breed my own stock and I am not ready to get a quality line going. If you want you can just breed a pure bred but just keep getting new stock in. I think you have to breed a father ( rooster ) with a hen offspring and closer and it's bad. But I am not 100%.
Hope you get some eggs soon... and lots of them.

Thanks cluckcluck... Me too...

I got up early this morning to let out the chickens and my ducks. I was working late the previous day and so the other half had to put them away. I have 5 chickens and 6 ducks. They live next door to each other in old converted dog pens.... The type gamekeepers use for their working dogs. Normally all 5 chickens will immediately walk out once the door is open.... This morning 3 came out. I opened up the main door and checked inside. 1 of them was already in the nest box but the fifth was nowhere to be seen. I thought I could hear clucking coming from next door. I went out and opened up the ducks door and the last chicken was first out.... Followed more slowly by 6 ducks. Apparently the other half never checks to see if all the chickens are in before closing the door. She doesn't seem any worse for wear after spending a night away from the others....

Last edited:
th.gif

Can anyone tell me when I can free range my ducks. their are two months old and I'm afraid if I let them out of their coop, they will not come back. I have a big pond in my backyard and I'm afraid once I show them it, they might not come home.

Can anyone tell me when I can free range my ducks. their are two months old and I'm afraid if I let them out of their coop, they will not come back. I have a big pond in my backyard and I'm afraid once I show them it, they might not come home.

I let mine out (I have 7 ducks; 3 mallards, 2 pekin, and a khaki Campbell) for about an hour each day. They love to be out and run around, but to get them back in the pen I have to get a long bamboo pole and herd them like sheep or cattle.

Is your property fenced? Most domestics can't fly. Do you keep their feed in the pen? Usually mine will troop back to the pen to eat, but if given the chance they would probably stay out in the yard all night....ducks don't "coop" themselves like chickens because they don't sleep through the night. I think you are fine to let them out as long as you have fenced property. I wouldn't leave them unattended....I always put mine away if we are planning to leave the house. They LOVE treats so this is always my method to get them back home. They come running when I shake the mealworm bag, or wave a bunch of greens around. Since you have raised them, they probably won't wander far, and if they haven't been out before they won't wander far....if you continue to call them back with treats they will always come. Mine respond to my whistle now even if I don't always have treats.

Blondiebee181 Thank you for the information. My daughter decided to let them out yesterday for a hour. Today we decided we let them back out. One of my roosters chased Donald Duck, I scooted him away. 20 minutes later both Ducks started running then they started flying. Donald flew into my pond but I couldn't find him. Around four hours later he decided just come over to the run. I'm very glad he's back. I have 41 acres of land and none of it's Fenced in. Now I'm afraid to let them back out tomorrow. What do you think I should do?

Back
Top Bottom