The Duck Thread

ok, we have only had our ducks, I believe 5 weeks, and we already want more! haha! the two we have now are drakes. 10 weeks old. Cayuga and Pekin mix. I know we will have to add at least 6 females. So when the time comes and we build them a big pen, can anyone recommend breeds? We live in the northeast with cold winters and hot summers! Do not need an extreme rate of egg production as we also have chickens. But everyone loves the ducks, I see my neighbors out there just watching, and they said they love the ducks! My husband wants more so I am just putting the feelers out there to see what we should lean towards for breeds. And we are not against mix breeds either, obviously! haha! we could always go back to the farm we got these guys from and get them from her!

We got our first duck egg today from our Mallard So happy! She is 21 weeks.

left is duck egg and right is store bought large egg. It's a bit small but it's her firs.t our chickens first eggs were small too.

My beautiful girl <3

ok, we have only had our ducks, I believe 5 weeks, and we already want more! haha! the two we have now are drakes. 10 weeks old. Cayuga and Pekin mix. I know we will have to add at least 6 females. So when the time comes and we build them a big pen, can anyone recommend breeds? We live in the northeast with cold winters and hot summers! Do not need an extreme rate of egg production as we also have chickens. But everyone loves the ducks, I see my neighbors out there just watching, and they said they love the ducks! My husband wants more so I am just putting the feelers out there to see what we should lean towards for breeds. And we are not against mix breeds either, obviously! haha! we could always go back to the farm we got these guys from and get them from her!
If you can get more ducks around the same age as the ones you have from the same person I'd go for it. Especially if the ones you got were healthy and well taken care of. You want to at least get ducks that will be large since your Pekin/Cayuga mix will not be a small drake. keep us updated on what ya'll decide.

We got our first duck egg today from our Mallard So happy! She is 21 weeks. left is duck egg and right is store bought large egg. It's a bit small but it's her firs.t our chickens first eggs were small too. My beautiful girl QUOTE] Awesome! Mine are 15 weeks and we are waiting patiently for that first egg.

If you can get more ducks around the same age as the ones you have from the same person I'd go for it. Especially if the ones you got were healthy and well taken care of. You want to at least get ducks that will be large since your Pekin/Cayuga mix will not be a small drake. keep us updated on what ya'll decide.
I certainly will let you know. So judging by that mix they will be large?

These are my first ducklings. 3 anconas and 3 pekins.
This is my drake Splash when he was a duckling!

This was taken when they got older.

When we realized how poopie they were, we kept 2 anconas and took 3 pekins
and 1 ancona to a subdivision by a pond! They are very happy now! I do still miss them though!

My hen Rosie and my drake Splash enjoying our creek.

Splash and Rosie LOVE their little pool!

so our duck eggs are the same size of our chicken eggs, I almost mistook them as our LEghorn eggs! but you can see the difference in the yolk size. chicken egg on bottom top two are duck eggs, not sure why the one is yellow and not orange..

so our duck eggs are the same size of our chicken eggs, I almost mistook them as our LEghorn eggs! but you can see the difference in the yolk size. chicken egg on bottom top two are duck eggs, not sure why the one is yellow and not orange..
Very pretty, just what I had for lunch.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom