The Duck Thread

I have always had good luck with triple antibiotic ointment on wounds for ducks and chickens. clean 1st with soap and water, dry wound and plaster with ointment---chicken goes back into coop until they want to come out and ducks go in the little cage for a day or 2 so they don't hit the pond. (my husband is such a good shot that he shot a mink right off my pekins neck last year, she came over to the garage for help trying to get it off) see the bugger below
That is terrible I could never do that poor little mink
1f626.png

The most sure way to prevent fly strike is to keep the duck where there are no flies until the wound has healed over a bit.

I want to say this kindly . . . . compared to fly strike, keeping a duck in, away from flies, is a piece of cake.

The most sure way to prevent fly strike is to keep the duck where there are no flies until the wound has healed over a bit.

I want to say this kindly . . . . compared to fly strike, keeping a duck in, away from flies, is a piece of cake.

I tried to put her in a box but she jumped out I don't know what to put her in that's big enough to keep her

Can you borrow a dog crate? That's what I use.

Or set up some temporary fence over plastic sheeting and fasten an old sheet across the top. I have done that for a brooder for fifteen ducklings. Works pretty well.

A card table turned upside down with its legs as posts is another thing some have used for temporary pen.

Last edited:
One time I got a new chicken and had to quarantine it for a little bit I used a watermelon box.

Like at meijers or wall mart, the ones thay put pumpkins or watermelons in. if you have a basement or garage u could put a tarp under the box or trash bag or plastic tablecloth for ez clean. I had mine out side so I put an old screen over the top. that way it was ventilated with no flys:)

She just isolated herself from everyone she went into a corner and is just sitting there she has like saliva in the corners of her mouth I don't know if that's normal or what she has drank a tiny bit of water but that's only cause I let the hose shower on her a few times other than that she won't eat or drink she is still quacking a little and walkin around when she has to her poo is very bright green and runny though

Back
Top Bottom