The Duck Thread

So if he is a drake its it possible for him to Be happy without another duck ? Outside?
From what I have read, it is not likely for him to be happy without a flockmate. That could be you. If you are around enough, you may be able to work something out. Nettie, Marwan, DenverDucky, gosh, several that I can think of have indoor ducks.

Nettie and Marwan have pairs, DenverDucky has a single.

I have a question about ducks being put with the chickens. I have 4 drakes 3 of which are Rouens and the 4th is a mallard. My sister just got 3 wyandotte chicks, 1 rooster and 2 hens ( we had 4 but one died:( ) we have a run for the ducks which we are expanding for goats and she wants to put the chickens in there when they're older. I told her this probably won't work since the ducks are all drakes and a year older then the chickens but my parents say they'll be fine. The new run will 25ft by 25ft. Is this a good idea and if not what can I do other then building a second run.
Thanks -Hannah

I have a question about ducks being put with the chickens. I have 4 drakes 3 of which are Rouens and the 4th is a mallard. My sister just got 3 wyandotte chicks, 1 rooster and 2 hens ( we had 4 but one died:( ) we have a run for the ducks which we are expanding for goats and she wants to put the chickens in there when they're older. I told her this probably won't work since the ducks are all drakes and a year older then the chickens but my parents say they'll be fine. The new run will 25ft by 25ft. Is this a good idea and if not what can I do other then building a second run.
Thanks -Hannah
With the utmost respect for your parents, they will not be fine. Drakes with chickens causes problems, from anything I have seen on the forum. I wish I were more creative and "with it" right now, and I hope someone can offer some alternative ideas.

Thanks -Hannah

I'm with Amiga. Adding drakes to your chickens is never a good idea, because drakes are drakes! The anatomy is very unlike chicken anatomy, so when (not if, but when) they try to mate, chickens end up injured. It hasn't happened to me personally, but that's bcz I have no chickens, only ducks. I've read several stories about this here written by chicken keepers. I'm afraid a separate pen might be your only way to go. There are also ways that you can manage groups, for example, I allow adults to free range while keeping moms and babies in the pen. That gives me 2 spaces for 2 groups... But that is only temporary, and it is a pain. I would just go ahead, do it right, have 2 pens. Good luck.

Thanks -Hannah
I agree with everyone. I have ducks and chickens--they all free range and I have the appropriate amount of females to males for the ducks. during the summer when they go in their coop at night I let them socialize together--but not in the winter when they are coop'd up more--the ducks have a separate caged off area that they stay in so no one fights during the long days of winter. you will also find the boys will nit pick at each other, so make sure you give them space and I would suggest 2 different feeding bowls. so the low man on the totem pole gets to eat.

Okay thanks to all three of you! My sister is just going to have to build her chicks a new pen. During the day I have my ducks free range the yard do you guys think it would be okay if the chickens did too with the ducks? Thanks again!!!:)

Okay thanks to all three of you! My sister is just going to have to build her chicks a new pen. During the day I have my ducks free range the yard do you guys think it would be okay if the chickens did too with the ducks? Thanks again!!!
smile.png
yup together free ranging --they will do what they want

I love this thread!!! I created a fan club for my duck Maggy!! I don't really know how to promote it so i thought i might mention it here. she is a six month old Magpie that loves back rubs and live meal worms. she is a great egg layer and great with kids. i'm on the works on getting her certified to be a therapy duck. She loves to go to parks and she is gentle with the children. I hope you enjoy this picture!! Please visit my site!
lol.png
http://www.maggysfanclub.com/

Back
Top Bottom