The Duck Thread

So my female is 5-6 months old should I expect eggs or it's to cold for her?
you should be getting eggs. she needs a spot to lay them in(in her coop) and be fed a good layer feed. make a small box and put some bedding in there with a couple of golf balls. she should get the idea

Sometimes ducks hide eggs. Just a thought.
yes, they are great at that
thumbsup.gif

How do I know if she has laid? Like my chickens obviously make a lot of noise but how do you know with a duck?
they don't make any noise, and the only way is to keep them in a fenced area for a couple of days and see what happens. mine lay in their coop in the morning, but I will find the occasional egg on the lawn and sometimes in the pond.

unless your in snow country in ca it shouldn't be too cold, --they are like chickens, they want a box with bedding and privacy, throw some golf balls in there so they get the idea--mine started somewhere between 6 and 8 months because they laid all winter.(brain foggy) don't give up!!!

make sure you are feeding layer feed with some whole corn mixed in.

Don't forget calcium if they are starting to lay. They'll need it for strong eggshells. Oyster shell in a dish or Calcium Gluconate in their water are the most common ways to provide it. However, in order to assure they were actually eating the oyster shell, I found I had to mix it in with their 'scratch' - a daily mixed grain/corn treat they love.

I have oyster she'll out for the chickens but I'll mix it in no problem I've still found nothing kinda sad but whatever I've waited since they were babies I can wait a bit longer I'm going to get more bedding a softer bedding I think

Back
Top Bottom