The Duck Thread

Has anyone ever used wax to pluck a duck???

I was reading about it online, didn't know if it actually worked.
I have a bunch to process today & I'm not looking forward to it.

I'm so upset because I didn't realize how loud the Pekin girls were. They're my favorite that we have & super attached to them. But they are crazy loud ALL NIGHT LONG. Nothing I did helped & it's got to be irritating the neighbors.

I'm keeping my Pekin drake as a pet. Also my khaki Campbell since she's the quietest. And probably 2 runners.

Has anyone ever used wax to pluck a duck???

I was reading about it online, didn't know if it actually worked.
I have a bunch to process today & I'm not looking forward to it.

I'm so upset because I didn't realize how loud the Pekin girls were.  They're my favorite that we have & super attached to them.  But they are crazy loud ALL NIGHT LONG.  Nothing I did helped & it's got to be irritating the neighbors.

I'm keeping my Pekin drake as a pet.  Also my khaki Campbell since she's the quietest.  And probably 2 runners. 

Have you considered rehoming them?

Where is the best place to order ducks? I only want 2-4 and McMurray charges an additional $45 for a small order... I'm interested in Welsh Harlequin, Silver Appleyard,Ancona,Dark and Khaki Campbell.
metzner has a two duck min. but does not sell silver apple yard. but neither does mcmurray.

Have you considered rehoming them?

Like rehome all of them instead of processing?
No. I have 15 total, all about 5 months old now. Plan was always to keep about 5, just the ones I really wanted to keep aren't going to feasible with how loud they are
sad.png

I did try to sell my favorite for the past 2 weeks to keep her from being processed at full disclosure on her noise, but no takers on her as a pet since we live in the city. Even willing to sell as a pair of girl or a trio with a drake. I did have people want to buy her for $10 & process themselves, but that defeated the whole purpose.

Okay thank you, I'll keep that in mind for the future. I'm on the NC thread & offered them up to other locals but no one was looking for more ducks. (To clarify, 10 or so of them were always supposed to be processed, it was just a matter of which ones.)

We're getting ready to go out of town for Easter, so they've got to be done today, DH out there right now.

I'm wondering if it's worth it to do the wax or if it even works. I found a couple articles on it when googling plucking ducks.

Last edited:
Okay, so..... The pen was open again and all the goslings and their momma duck were in the pool again. I now have to take them out to the cabin, which was supposed to originally be their home.

Okay thank you, I'll keep that in mind for the future. I'm on the NC thread & offered them up to other locals but no one was looking for more ducks. (To clarify, 10 or so of them were always supposed to be processed, it was just a matter of which ones.)

We're getting ready to go out of town for Easter, so they've got to be done today, DH out there right now.

I'm wondering if it's worth it to do the wax or if it even works. I found a couple articles on it when googling plucking ducks.

So how did the processing day go? Did you use wax? Was it helpful?
We are planning on processing some ducks later this year so I would love to hear about your experience.

Back
Top Bottom