The Duck Thread

NO. Bad idea! Once you start that, they'll want those little drinks with the paper umbrellas, and some music on the boom box....

Not, I hope to god, the same hot tub used by people...

Seriously, those things are too deep and there's no way for them to walk in or out, so you've a serious drowning risk.

Had anybody used a hot tub for their ducks to swim in?

When I was pricing out those big stock tubs I saw a non running hot tub on craigslist for $50, you haul, I really thought about getting it!
If you built a little deck or something around it to ease getting in and out I wouldn't see why it wouldn't work.
Definitely convenient with the drain.
(DH didn't let me get it though, thought it would be an eye sore. For $50 I thought it was a great idea!)

Yes I did thanks. It looks awesome but my husband thinks using the preformed ponds for the ducks would be easier than the hot tub. Now that I have that figured out I can start designing there shelter!! I have a two preformed ponds a large one maybe 125+ gallons or smaller pond it's maybe ...50 gallon should I put the small one in their coop and the large one outside? Or none in their actual coop?

Yes I did thanks. It looks awesome but my husband thinks using the preformed ponds for the ducks would be easier than the hot tub. Now that I have that figured out I can start designing there shelter!! I have a two preformed ponds a large one maybe 125+ gallons or smaller pond it's maybe ...50 gallon should I put the small one in their coop and the large one outside? Or none in their actual coop?
If they can free range safely i wouldn't put either inside because they will make it a muddy mess pretty quick.

Any one know what gender these are?

Thanks!

question to my fellow duck owners : I have 2 pekin ducks which I thought for the last 2 years were a male and female but finally have come to the realization that their 2 males, just a very large male and very small male. they stick together 24-7 since I got them at 2 days old and free range during the day and live in the chicken coop at night. they've never been aggressive towards the chickens, but the last few months (since spring has sprung) they've been taking turns ruff housing/chaseing each other into the pond to mate. they do equally get on top of each other but the smaller males neck is completely bear and scabbed up. they freak when their separated but i'm not sure if there is a "deterrent" I could use or someone has a suggestion on cutting down the mateing tactics. ???? thanks for the help

Getting a female is definitely a good idea. The only problem then is that they will probably fight over her. Which could cause more problems. If you did get a female you might have to get rid of a male or keep the pair separate from one of the males. Since the one is bigger than the other it is a safe assumption that he will win the fight and the smaller drake may get even more hurt.

Back
Top Bottom