The Duck Thread

RUB A DUB DUB 12 DUCKS IN A TUB..
And here with a question about Mr.Beaks.He was hatched on the 21st.My Mallard Jezzy sat on a comunity nest in our feed room.And hatched out 8 of the eggs.Still had 4 more to g:hmmn wed afternoon we had a severe storm.Don't know if that made her leave the nest or that her BF kept hollering for her.But when I checked on them at lockdown.She was gone no where to be found.The babies were screaming and running to the door.She had went out and not came back..So we gathered the eggs and babies.Put eggs in incubator and babies in brooder.Next morning she was with her BF out in the yard.Watched her thru the day she never went back in the barn.That night her and her BF never came in for lockdown.SO after checking them all out this is what we found.Top half of his beak is missing.Looks like it was there but torn off.Does anyone have any suggestions? As far as what to do for him?He has been eating drinking and took the first swim with the others today.They are not pecking on him.Just piled in the corner together.Oh the other 4 eggs hatched and they were okay.Thanks!

The babies first swim!!

Very nice looking space! I was wondering the same thing. Bear with us, we have seen some sad things, and often think about security from predators. Glad you got your guy back in!

Very nice looking space! I was wondering the same thing. Bear with us, we have seen some sad things, and often think about security from predators. Glad you got your guy back in!

Yes I lock them up at night. We have had neighbors chickens killed before. Thank-you, the wood ducks and runners have been having a blast will the extra space.

@Dreamwalker The duckling with the injured bill will probably be fine as long as his handicap is managed for. In other words, he will need to use his lower mandible as a scoop for food. You may need to help him a little bit at first, since he is so tiny - offering food moistened to a consistency of soft oatmeal especially at first.

Here is something to consider

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/1994-06-18/news/1994169078_1_duck-showalter-mrs

Superglue has been used medically - - - I am thinking that once the duckling is grown, a prosthetic bill could be made and fixed to the stub of bill that the duckling has. Might be good to begin contacting willing people to help with this.

Nowadays, there are 3D printers used to make prosthetic legs for ducks and geese - why not bills?

@Dreamwalker The duckling with the injured bill will probably be fine as long as his handicap is managed for. In other words, he will need to use his lower mandible as a scoop for food. You may need to help him a little bit at first, since he is so tiny - offering food moistened to a consistency of soft oatmeal especially at first.

Here is something to consider

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/1994-06-18/news/1994169078_1_duck-showalter-mrs

Superglue has been used medically - - - I am thinking that once the duckling is grown, a prosthetic bill could be made and fixed to the stub of bill that the duckling has. Might be good to begin contacting willing people to help with this.

Nowadays, there are 3D printers used to make prosthetic legs for ducks and geese - why not bills?
Thank you for answering!And did try some yogurt but didn't seem interested in it.But will try again today.Very interesting story something I will look into.So far he is stayin the same size as the others.And I have watched him eat.So guess time will tell.Thanks again.

RUB A DUB DUB 12 DUCKS IN A TUB..
And here with a question about Mr.Beaks.He was hatched on the 21st.My Mallard Jezzy sat on a comunity nest in our feed room.And hatched out 8 of the eggs.Still had 4 more to g:hmmn wed afternoon we had a severe storm.Don't know if that made her leave the nest or that her BF kept hollering for her.But when I checked on them at lockdown.She was gone no where to be found.The babies were screaming and running to the door.She had went out and not came back..So we gathered the eggs and babies.Put eggs in incubator and babies in brooder.Next morning she was with her BF out in the yard.Watched her thru the day she never went back in the barn.That night her and her BF never came in for lockdown.SO after checking them all out this is what we found.Top half of his beak is missing.Looks like it was there but torn off.Does anyone have any suggestions? As far as what to do for him?He has been eating drinking and took the first swim with the others today.They are not pecking on him.Just piled in the corner together.Oh the other 4 eggs hatched and they were okay.Thanks!

The babies first swim!!

I'd have an avian vet or farm vet or reg vet look at the little one it's amazing what they can do with bills. make sure feed bowls are deep enough it can scoop with lower bill. they are all adorable.

Hephaestus died last night. I woke up around 5 or 5:30 in the morning, and Zeus was screaming. I went in, and she was already stiff. Zeus is a lone duckling, and I have no money for another two weeks. I've already looked, anyway, and can't find any ducklings other than Muscovies and Pekins, and neither one of those are a good fit for my backyard at the moment. ):

Once again, Zeus has his teddy bear back. He seems content enough with it, plus attention from all of us. I'm definitely gonna try to integrate Zeus into the flock ASAP.

Hephaestus died last night. I woke up around 5 or 5:30 in the morning, and Zeus was screaming. I went in, and she was already stiff. Zeus is a lone duckling, and I have no money for another two weeks. I've already looked, anyway, and can't find any ducklings other than Muscovies and Pekins, and neither one of those are a good fit for my backyard at the moment. ):

Once again, Zeus has his teddy bear back. He seems content enough with it, plus attention from all of us. I'm definitely gonna try to integrate Zeus into the flock ASAP.
Zombified he is way to young, your asking for disaster. give him a non breakable mirror and his Teddy and give him time to grow. Very sorry for your loss.

Back
Top Bottom