The Duck Thread

I have a mallard and indian runner duck(about 8-9 weeks old) I had 2 indian runners but a coon got one but I'm gonna get another indian runner and mallard so they can pair up when older. I'm wanting to fence in the garden and some yard so I can block off the garden and open the gait when it's grown enough so they can eat weeds,slugs,snails,bugs and clean up. How many of you have ducks in the garden?

we did four a little bit today p.s. they eat onuions keep them fenced where theres no plants.

I need help. Had a friend drop off some eggs for me. The mama duck was killed by a racoon last night. He wasn't sure if these eggs were still good. I ask how long has she been sitting on them. He says, at least two weeks. I said, they should be ok. I candled when he left, they were very cold. Couldn't see movement. Put them in the bator, warmed them up. 13 out of 14 are viable! Now, I am hoping that someone can help me get an idea as to how far along they are, because I've seen the chart, and I'm thinking these are further along that two weeks. Talked to the wife later, she said they really didn't know when she started to sit. Here are a few photos..of two different eggs. They all look pretty much the same. Those little ones were moving really good tonight while I was candling.

First egg, first side..

First egg again, other side..

Second egg, first side...

Second egg again, other side..

From a chart I was looking at, I am thinking they look more like they are closer to day
21..or 22? I know the Call ducks take around 26 to 28 days to hatch. I may just have
to wait until I candle and see an internal pip, then lock down. What do you all do for
humidity during incubation, and for lock down. I'm reading different things.
And, do you spritz with water...or sponge them? I haven't hatched ducks in yrs. I only
did that once. Thanks for the help. I did post this on the Call duck thread, but isn't
as busy as this one.

H
I need help. Had a friend drop off some eggs for me. The mama duck was killed by a racoon last night. He wasn't sure if these eggs were still good. I ask how long has she been sitting on them. He says, at least two weeks. I said, they should be ok. I candled when he left, they were very cold. Couldn't see movement. Put them in the bator, warmed them up. 13 out of 14 are viable! Now, I am hoping that someone can help me get an idea as to how far along they are, because I've seen the chart, and I'm thinking these are further along that two weeks. Talked to the wife later, she said they really didn't know when she started to sit. Here are a few photos..of two different eggs. They all look pretty much the same. Those little ones were moving really good tonight while I was candling. First egg, first side.. First egg again, other side.. Second egg, first side... Second egg again, other side.. From a chart I was looking at, I am thinking they look more like they are closer to day 21..or 22? I know the Call ducks take around 26 to 28 days to hatch. I may just have to wait until I candle and see an internal pip, then lock down. What do you all do for humidity during incubation, and for lock down. I'm reading different things. And, do you spritz with water...or sponge them? I haven't hatched ducks in yrs. I only did that once. Thanks for the help. I did post this on the Call duck thread, but isn't as busy as this one.
humidity should be 55-65% during incubation then 75% during lockdown. I spritz mine with water until lockdown.

One of my ducks just pooped a very strange looking poo. I didn't see who it was, but it's fresh. It's mostly clear, with white foamy stuff. There's also undigested plant matter in it. Here's a photo.

One of my ducks just pooped a very strange looking poo. I didn't see who it was, but it's fresh. It's mostly clear, with white foamy stuff. There's also undigested plant matter in it. Here's a photo.

Are you hot out there in Texas? They will be drinking a lot right now, normal to be seeing watery stools at this time of year.

My Cayuga laid another bantam size egg. Is it possible she's younger than I thought? Farm I got her from didn't exactly know how old she was.

Overrun...I know my chickens (when I had them) & now my ducks laid "practice eggs" for about their 1st month they were laying - tiny little things. The eggs gradually got bigger & in their 2nd year the eggs were too big to fit into extra large jumbo egg cartons. Sounds like your cayuga is still growing into her adult body.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom