The Duck Thread

Does anyone know what kind of duck this is? I have 3...

Today is the day I create duckville outside for my 5 ducklings from the scrap pile. I'm seeing all different things on space requirements. I'm just curious about requirements for the coop itself. There will be approx 32x16 run attached.

Today is the day I create duckville outside for my 5 ducklings from the scrap pile. I'm seeing all different things on space requirements. I'm just curious about requirements for the coop itself. There will be approx 32x16 run attached.
If I recall from Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks, 4 to 6 square feet per duck for the house. One reason there are different numbers is setups are so different. Someone in a mild climate who rarely has to keep the ducks in the house for longer than overnight might need a little less space than someone who lives in the north country, where we can have three feet of snow for weeks, and it takes some time to shovel a canyon out for the ducks.

If I recall from Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks, 4 to 6 square feet per duck for the house.  One reason there are different numbers is setups are so different.  Someone in a mild climate who rarely has to keep the ducks in the house for longer than overnight might need a little less space than someone who lives in the north country, where we can have three feet of snow for weeks, and it takes some time to shovel a canyon out for the ducks.
I'm definitely in the mild region. We usually get ice storms and maybe a few inches of snow occasionally but nothing like up north. The weather is all over the place here. In the past few years, the longest I have ever had to keep my chickens in the coop was just under two weeks. Last year it was only two days. I more have an issue with heat and shade!

Back
Top Bottom