The Duck Thread

Is that bad? She was drinking the Epsom salt water I thought It wouldn't matter since all it does is just act as a laxative
Laxatives when not needed can cause electrolyte imbalance and dehydration. You may have gotten away with it, but watch her closely - and please don't let her do that again. Compresses or small flat-bottomed buckets (where you can just get her feet in and hold her so she cannot get to the E.s. solution) are much safer.

hugs.gif

Sometimes it will work out with 1:1 but I would make back up plans if it doesn't. You still have some time to get it worked out. Most places sell straight runs because it's cheaper and easier. A lot of poeple will cull the extra males.

Oh no! I hope I don't have to get rid of my male later on. He is calmer than the female and I love him. DH would just croak if I got more ducks at this point :( I've already got several turkeys and some chickens
1f613.png

One of my just hatched ducklings is getting around on its knees... does anybody know what causes this and or anything I can do about it? It's like the tendons are to tight and it pulls the feet up way to high and it can't get them under it.

Laxatives when not needed can cause electrolyte imbalance and dehydration.  You may have gotten away with it, but watch her closely - and please don't let her do that again.  Compresses or small flat-bottomed buckets (where you can just get her feet in and hold her so she cannot get to the E.s. solution) are much safer. How can I check if she has unbalanced electrolytes or dehydration? Can I just mix Gatorade with her water?
:hugs

I would not use gatorade - but you can get electrolytes or vitamins with electrolytes from the feed store, and put them in her water a couple of times to be sure.

Her poop would look very very watery, and she might seem "off." In extreme cases, animals can have seizures - but I cannot imagine that would happen in this case.

I would not use gatorade - but you can get electrolytes or vitamins with electrolytes from the feed store, and put them in her water a couple of times to be sure.

Her poop would look very very watery, and she might seem "off." In extreme cases, animals can have seizures - but I cannot imagine that would happen in this case.

Unflavored pedialyte is what my vet recommended. Worked wonders for Bean when she was sick!

Back
Top Bottom