The Duck Thread

I want to add some new ducks to my flock and right now I have three. I am stuck between Runners, Cayugas, or KCs.
What breed do you have now? all 3 you named are very nice breeds so it will be just which ones stand out the most to you. And what will be compatible to your ducks you have now.

Well I'm sorta new to ducks and at the feed store they had Muscovies, Mallards and Swedish. But after research I realized I should have gotten 3 of one breed but all get along well!

Muscovies are larger than the other two I think. I have heard they can kill the others if the male tries to breed with a female of another breed due to their size. I house mine with guineas so I am not sure about how they get along with other ducks.

I have 2 welsh harlequins and they are crazy aggressive with the neighbor's ducks. They have 2 pekins and 2 Rouens. Their ducks are sweet, calm ducks until mine show up. They get frantic and they all go at each other through the fence! My 2 started it as ducklings. WHs are a lightweight breed and mine have no idea they are! Like piranhas! Or chihuahuas. Lol. WHa are also supposed to be more laid back and friendly. Ummmm, not mine! The female has never been really friendly, but the male is ok. They follow me around, but don't want to be touched or held. They're pretty, but really snotty. This is my 2.

This is Tot the snot. She's the female. Their names are Tater and Tot. Pretty is as pretty does... Lol. They're good ducks, I'm just mad at them for being such butt heads to the neighbors. Not the usual WH.
1f615.png

I love the neighbors pekins and Rouens. I vote for those breeds, BUT my #1 vote goes to a Muscovy! Sweet, quiet, very broody, friendly.... All of the traits you'd want. The only thing you have to get past is the red caruncles on their face/heads. The females can have very little if it's something that puts you off. If it does, I get it, it did me. Now, I'm hoping to get my neighbor's 2 new ones after we see how my drake is going to act once the hormones kick in. Hopefull the new babies are girls! Scovy personalities have won me over. Plus, they come in a TON of colors. This is the neighbor's new babies.

I have 2 welsh harlequins and they are crazy aggressive with the neighbor's ducks. They have 2 pekins and 2 Rouens. Their ducks are sweet, calm ducks until mine show up. They get frantic and they all go at each other through the fence! My 2 started it as ducklings. WHs are a lightweight breed and mine have no idea they are! Like piranhas! Or chihuahuas. Lol. WHa are also supposed to be more laid back and friendly. Ummmm, not mine! The female has never been really friendly, but the male is ok. They follow me around, but don't want to be touched or held. They're pretty, but really snotty. This is my 2.

This is Tot the snot. She's the female. Their names are Tater and Tot. Pretty is as pretty does... Lol. They're good ducks, I'm just mad at them for being such butt heads to the neighbors. Not the usual WH.
1f615.png

I love the neighbors pekins and Rouens. I vote for those breeds, BUT my #1 vote goes to a Muscovy! Sweet, quiet, very broody, friendly.... All of the traits you'd want. The only thing you have to get past is the red caruncles on their face/heads. The females can have very little if it's something that puts you off. If it does, I get it, it did me. Now, I'm hoping to get my neighbor's 2 new ones after we see how my drake is going to act once the hormones kick in. Hopefull the new babies are girls! Scovy personalities have won me over. Plus, they come in a TON of colors. This is the neighbor's new babies.

I'd like to have the neighbors female Muscovy, she is gorgeous.
and your WH are only protecting what they deem as theirs, their side of the fence.
wink.png

@Amiga

At my local TSC they had Tylan200 not tylan50. What do u think I should do? Someone else recommended eggs and its working a little bit, I think! :):idunnoidunno
And someone suggested raw garlic with the eggs, I'm gonna start that tomorrow but will garlic hurt my other duck? Should I separate them when feeding them breakfast? I just really want him to get better!

@duckies1230

Since I am not there, not a vet, don't have test results, I need to let you go with your best judgment. I try to bring forward possibilities, but that is about what I can do.
hugs.gif

If you think nutrition therapy - what you are doing - is working, and don't feel that there is an infection, go with that. If you can find a vet or someone who can help you get a more detailed health picture, do that. I know you care very much.

I want to add some new ducks to my flock and right now I have three. I am stuck between Runners, Cayugas, or KCs.

I vote runners! Only because they're cute and I want some, too :)

The turkey finds tons of worms and when he does my ducks swarm him and steal them, poor guy.

Bahahaha! I had turkeys that would hunt flies as babies.

Back
Top Bottom