The Duck Thread

Simply Adorable...
I noticed you have Great Pyrenees, do you breed and sell?
No, unfortunately not. I would love to but there are so many in need of rescue that I always adopt and the contracts always require neutering. My very first Pyr was one that I bought and the absolute perfection of the breed. If I only knew then what I know now I would be rich, lol. I can not stress the importance of good livestock guardian dogs, as you may already know
smile.png

@MandyJ , I totally understand where you're coming from! Sometimes my drake frustrates the living daylights out of me, but he's not mine to do with what I want, so.....
hmm.png
If it were up to me, he wouldn't be here!

You've got that right! The broody thinks she is required to remove my skin in order to protect her soon-to-be babies, but it just shows that she's a good mommy.
smile.png

@Ren2014 , thank you for the congratulations! The bars are 1 1/2" apart, so I'm hoping they're close enough together to keep newly hatched ducklings in.
big_smile.png

Do you think the small chick waterer I'm using is okay?

Alright, we're going to have to get rid of the Phoenix rooster so that she can be moved into the cage.

@CyndiD , that's an amazing setup!
droolin.gif
Thank you so much for sharing pictures; I've got some ideas now thanks to you.
smile.png

~Alex

What is your duck pen like?  Can the ducks and drakes see each other?  Tonight I'm going to split our pen down the middle, girls on one side boys on the other, using an exercise pen fence.  It's only 3 feet tall so I'm concerned they will fly over it
Hi, i took a ton of pics today and will try to post only a few... i love taking and sharing pics, if anyone hasnt figured this out by now about me???
I use 2"x3" welded wire fencing that is 3' high and i use garden/fence stakes so i can pull them up and move the fence around and they work well when i need to open & close a section off.
this is right out back of our house. the first little pen area w/t blue tarp is where my young chicks sleep, i guess this would be called a "grow out pen". they are old enough now that when i let them out i keep the fence open and they free-range now. the horse trailer is where the drakes sleep.
my dh made dividers and doors for me so i can seperate the drakes when needed. i love the trailer cuz it is a fortress from preds and i can hang heat lamps when needed inside.
the way i put up the fence t/drakes
get all the space around the trailer and the ducks get a pen area on the left.
I can make the pen areas bigger, smaller and even smaller if i need to really seperate many ducks/drakes. i can make breeding pen areas when i put them together or i can open it all up and let them free-range.
i may move the horse trailer and change things up, but for now this is working for me.
i can make 5-6 different pen areas by just pulling up a few stakes and moving them.
i would love any suggestions from anyone who may have a better idea for me, i am always in need of ideas myself.
the ducks are in the front and the drakes are seperated by fence in the back (of this picture)

the 3 sided wood shed was for our hay last yr, but it is just for shade now, i want to make another duck house or something useful out of it. Any suggestions???
a view looking East
my young chicks/a grow out pen & coop, when they are big enough they go out to the chicken coops

hope this helps anyone

No, unfortunately not.  I would love to but there are so many in need of rescue that I always adopt and the contracts always require neutering.  My very first Pyr was one that I bought and the absolute perfection of the breed.  If I only knew then what I know now I would be rich, lol.  I can not stress the importance of good livestock guardian dogs, as you may already know:)
thanks for the livestock tip, i didnt know. i assumed they all had the desire/gene to guard? i will make sure i do my homework when i am ready to adopt or buy? thanks again.

@MandyJ , I totally understand where you're coming from! Sometimes my drake frustrates the living daylights out of me, but he's not mine to do with what I want, so.....
hmm.png
If it were up to me, he wouldn't be here!

You've got that right! The broody thinks she is required to remove my skin in order to protect her soon-to-be babies, but it just shows that she's a good mommy.
smile.png

@Ren2014 , thank you for the congratulations! The bars are 1 1/2" apart, so I'm hoping they're close enough together to keep newly hatched ducklings in.
big_smile.png

Do you think the small chick waterer I'm using is okay?

Alright, we're going to have to get rid of the Phoenix rooster so that she can be moved into the cage.

@CyndiD , that's an amazing setup!
droolin.gif
Thank you so much for sharing pictures; I've got some ideas now thanks to you.
smile.png

~Alex
Small chick waterer is good. I'm concerned about the 1 1/2" bars. I've had them get through what I think were 1" bars and I had one manage to get it's head stuck in 1/2 " cage wire.

thanks for the livestock tip, i didnt know. i assumed they all had the desire/gene to guard? i will make sure i do my homework when i am ready to adopt or buy? thanks again.
I believe they all have the gene but the desire to guard comes from bonding with its charges whether stock or people. Most just tend to be night barkers which is still a benefit (provided you are in the country or have tolerant neighbors.) If a Pry has not bonded to its charge, they will roam. If they bond to their owners, they will not stay with the stock. Even some that are bonded to stock get bored and might roam. In rescue we call a Pyr off leash a "Disapyr." Many Pyrs end up in rescue because of this. Pyrs can climb and even jump fences. I highly recommend getting them before 16 weeks of age. Good luck when you do decide.

Back
Top Bottom