The Duck Thread

Can anyone tell me what breed of duck this us

I've been scratching wondering. She's got the crested head and the Swedish pattern so it's definitely possible.

I'm going to have to trade my Drake Rouen for another female, otherwise I will have some 300 ducklings a year. I will be posting him up on the forum in a couple of weeks.

She does look like a cross.
Swedish ducks usually have dark bills and feet, and their bibs are typically well defined and solid (spots aren't uncommon, but even home bred stock is usualy just as or more defined than hers).
I wonder what with? :p

When she was a duckling, she had pitch-black feet as she grew. The color faded into a black-yellowish shade with time. She's also a digger. My run is covered in small golf-ball sized holes she digs about 4-6 inches deep or so. My Rouen doesn't do this.

0.jpg

we're building a new duck house this weekend, loosely based on these plans. http://www.flytesofancy.co.uk/chickenhouses/Classic_Duck_Houses.html How high up off the ground would you make the house? i'm worried that if we just do little stilts as pictured, that rats will set up shop under the duck house. If we go a bit higher, like a foot off the ground will our runner ducks still be able to climb up the ramp? i've heard that they don't like to climb at all.

When she was a duckling, she had pitch-black feet as she grew. The color faded into a black-yellowish shade with time. She's also a digger. My run is covered in small golf-ball sized holes she digs about 4-6 inches deep or so. My Rouen doesn't do this.

0.jpg
All of mine do that. I have 2 Cayuga, 2 Black Swedish and 3 Pekins. My yard looks like little bombs have gone off everywhere. Especially around the water hose! LOL Maybe only "dabblers" do it? I don't know.

Mandy

we're building a new duck house this weekend, loosely based on these plans. http://www.flytesofancy.co.uk/chickenhouses/Classic_Duck_Houses.html How high up off the ground would you make the house? i'm worried that if we just do little stilts as pictured, that rats will set up shop under the duck house. If we go a bit higher, like a foot off the ground will our runner ducks still be able to climb up the ramp? i've heard that they don't like to climb at all.
This is mine, we built it this high off the ground so I could wash the poop out from under it if needed. The ramp ended up having to be 9 feet long. The enclosure base is about 3 feet off the ground. Works wonderful! But I will tell you that they do get under there and hide. It is a REAL duck rodeo when they decide they don't want to go up!
Good luck!

Mandy

I don't have a clue why the picture is over on the right. I can't get it to move. Sorry! Sometimes I don't understand why pictures won't go where you place them! Oh well!

When I submitted it all the writing and picture went away, but when I edit it the picture and writing come back. I'll try again!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom