The Duck Thread

Oh, also be careful when using a heat bulb. Ducklings can drink, then sling water. Water on a hot heat bulb= busted heat bulb. Always a risk of fire, glass and ducks w/o heat. Ceramic heat bulbs are an option, but seems like they only warm directly underneath, in which case you may need more than one for 16 ducklings. You will need to experiment with the thermometer at different locations in your "box".

Hope this helps.
Yes, thanks. The bulbs that I bought stats they are waterproof and explosion proof. There were two to the package. I will see how well they heat prior to the new babies arrivals to see if I need to go get a 2nd lamp. Thanks again for your input!

If they get crowded you can go to a furniture store and get a dresser box (something large). This is what we did. They grow so fast it's hard to keep up. Line the box with plastic to. keep the water out.
For their first swim use a paint roller pan. It has the ramp for the roller that they can walk in and out of. It's not deep enough for them to drown but they ca. play.
Good luck abd enjoy!
Thanks! That's a good idea. Yes, I had thought about the paint pan idea for swimming until they get older and get their protective oil on the feathers. I am really excited and thanks for the input!

It also boils down to where you are going to brood them. I brood my chicks and ducklings in an extra large dog kennel on a table in our utility room. It never gets below 70 degrees in that room so I have need only a little supplemental heat while they were very young. If you are brooding in an insulated garage or barn type building you may need a little more heat. Ducklings do seem to be able to regulate their temps earlier than chicks do also.

Everyone I've spoken to thinks I'm nuts but my boy Eddie keeps closing one eye (even when walking about). He does open it but it's closed mostly. I can't see anything visibly wrong with the eye. He's shed a few tears while I've held him out of the one eye but it's not gooey and I can't see any crust anywhere.. should I take him to the vet? It's £40 just for them to look at him. I've given him some vetericyn eye drops but I'm worried, just seems so odd. Any advice would be great. (Yes they have three pools that are deep enough to dunk in that are cleaned out daily & dust free bedding)

Last edited:
My broody girl took a break down to the pond this afternoon so I got to see just what she has been working on!!!!

These are our first ducks and so any advice on her hatching them would be greatly appreciated!!! we are really just planning to let her do her thing unless anyone has ideas how to help her...

Everyone I've spoken to thinks I'm nuts but my boy Eddie keeps closing one eye (even when walking about). He does open it but it's closed mostly. I can't see anything visibly wrong with the eye. He's shed a few tears while I've held him out of the one eye but it's not gooey and I can't see any crust anywhere.. should I take him to the vet? It's £40 just for them to look at him. I've given him some vetericyn eye drops but I'm worried, just seems so odd. Any advice would be great. (Yes they have three pools that are deep enough to dunk in that are cleaned out daily & dust free bedding)
You could be sensing that there is something wrong in general, not necessarily the eye. I believe twice I've experienced with my chickens looking into their eyes, and something seemed wrong, and shortly after that chicken was sick.

Try putting some ACV into his bucket of drinking water 1-2 Tab to 1 gal of water and see if that helps when he dunks his head. He could have a speck of feed or dust in there that is bothering him.Plus the ACV is a good tonic for drinking too.
Hopefully it is something simple like that.

My broody girl took a break down to the pond this afternoon so I got to see just what she has been working on!!!!

These are our first ducks and so any advice on her hatching them would be greatly appreciated!!! we are really just planning to let her do her thing unless anyone has ideas how to help her...
O wow, looks like I counted 19 eggs? I let a girl sit on that many thinking they wouldn't all hatch. Much to my surprise they did, lol. What kind of duck is she? I would just make sure she has food, water and a place to bathe nearby. And of course that she is in a predator proof place. She will do the rest. Good luck
fl.gif
And be sure to post pictures of your new babies
smile.png

O wow, looks like I counted 19 eggs? I let a girl sit on that many thinking they wouldn't all hatch. Much to my surprise they did, lol. What kind of duck is she? I would just make sure she has food, water and a place to bathe nearby. And of course that she is in a predator proof place. She will do the rest. Good luck
fl.gif
And be sure to post pictures of your new babies
smile.png
I think my DH said he counted 23 the other day. She had 4 kicked out of the nest this morning. She is a Welsh Harlequin and my mallard drake has been mating with her. We also have a mallard girl sitting too, she isn't quite as dedicated tho she has maybe 15 or so eggs in her nest last we tried to count. She has food water and a pool in their pen and she takes a little break down to the pond when we let them out. Hoping she does well!!
fl.gif
We are thinking they will be ready to hatch in the next 2-3 weeks. I will post when we get some babies!!! Thanks!

Hi everyone, I just found this thread while duck searching the forums. I am raising my first two ducklings now. They are 4 weeks old today and getting in their feathers. I hate to say it but I find myself spending more time with the two ducks than my chickens. I really am starting to love those little guys. They take my heart every time they get this sweet look or cooing noise.I love my chickens they are my Ladies. But these ducklings are just sweeping me away. It is a good thing I got told we are capped out on animals right now or I would absolutely want more ducks instead of chickens. I do understand why they say it is good to have at least 2 of them. They need each other in their chicken filled world. It is late here but in the morning I am going to have to find time to catch up on reading all the pages on this thread. I'm only up to page 5 right now.
They are so cute. I have 6 mallards and 2 pekins . But I have wanted a black duck for a while. I love my ducks they have they're on personality. Fun to watch!

Back
Top Bottom