The Duck Thread

So busy lately but here are winter and storm. Can't get the little buggers to hold still!

Trying to get pics of EIs. I never want to be without ducklings again! My one for sure drake Falkor crawled into my hand today so that was cool!

So busy lately but here are winter and storm. Can't get the little buggers to hold still!

Trying to get pics of EIs. I never want to be without ducklings again! My one for sure drake Falkor crawled into my hand today so that was cool!

Ahhhhhh they are SO cute! And I'm right there with you. Ducklings=endless hours of entertainment and snuggles.

know I should apply a treatment for mites, but what should I do about ticks?! My husband normally fogs for mosquitoes and ticks with a formula that says is safe to use in pultry houses. I have 6 week Khakis I just put out 3 days ago and chicks to be let out later in the weekend. The treatment says only to let dry and it's ok. Bifen IT is the name. I currently have a bite I'm going to the doctor for tomorrow and a neighbor showed some signs of Lyme. Only reason we are so cautious!

@Tevyes Dad
Great, thank you for your advice! I will begin supervised visits tomorrow i think. I will let them out in my garden to mix and mingle to see how they all interact. My older ducks tend to be very skittish around me (i know runners are very skittish and high strung...) so i am hoping that by introducing the ducklings to the adult flock that i dont loose my "babies"
They are just so friendly and they love eating kale from my hand and nibbling at my shoes. My adult ducks wont even get near me anymore and have the "ax murderer" mentality towards me.
1f61e.png
I just hope the ducklings don't give me the cold shoulder as well when they mix into the flock. We shall see! Fingers crossed it is just a breed trait and my khakis and welsh harlequins and cayugas stay adorable and friendly towards me!!

Need some assistance....is this duckling crested? Not sure how since background is supposed to be Pekin and either Swedish or Cayuga. The head fluff feels like two tiny ears...duckling is three weeks old.

There are two more babies with the same head fluff that are only one week old.

Last edited:
Need some assistance....is this duckling crested? Not sure how since background is supposed to be Pekin and either Swedish or Cayuga. The head fluff feels like two tiny ears...duckling is three weeks old.

There are two more babies with the same head fluff that are only one week old.

That does look like a crest to me. I'm not sure if the crest is a recessive trait or not- I'm sure someone else knows, but maybe a crested duck snuck in the gene pool somewhere? Either way, as I'm sure you know, be so so careful with those little babies heads :(

Last edited:
That does look like a crest to me. I'm not sure if the crest is a recessive trait or not- I'm sure someone else knows, but maybe a crested duck snuck in the gene pool somewhere? Either way, as I'm sure you know, be so so careful with those little babies heads :(

It's a crest. It's a semi dominant gene, they can carry it and not show it or they can show it. It'll pretty much double or triple in size when the feathers start coming in.
A couple days old.

Five weeks.

Sadly I will be culling that one when it gets to 12 weeks or so.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom