The Duck Thread

I'd wait till your Runners are laying eggs before putting them in with your Pekin drakes.

You could try letting them be in a larger area with supervision but don't keep them together all the time yet.

I'd wait till your Runners are laying eggs before putting them in with your Pekin drakes.

You could try letting them be in a larger area with supervision but don't keep them together all the time yet.

Okay thank you. I am new to this. Roughly what age do they start laying?

My Runners were 4.5 months old when they began laying so anytime from 4-5 months of age you should start seeing eggs. Then they will be ready for breeding.
My Runners were 4.5 months old when they began laying so anytime from 4-5 months of age you should start seeing eggs. Then they will be ready for breeding.
Thank you I am glad I asked I figured 3 months was full grown and didn't think about being mature.

IMG_20170721_124016384.jpg
Newest are getting big!
IMG_20170609_170452495.jpg

Butterball showing off

I am finally moving to my new place Tuesday where there's lots of space to run. I will be having to dig a new pond for em cuz there isn't one there. So they'll have to do baby pools and small stream until I finish, but they'll a lot more space...I'm excited.

Ok as some of you know I'm moving my flock Tuesday night. It was next to impossible for me to purchase enough crates/kennels to move them all. So I have resorted to large boxes with extra holes for airflow. This will be a 2.5 hour trip for them. So my question is what would be an ideal size for my ducks? I'd like to split up males and females. So will be 3 runner males and 1 runner female and a Pekin female and mallard female. I don't want them to be cramped in so they get too hot but don't wanna to be able move around too much in there. The large boxes are 24 in by 18 in and 18 inches tall. Not sure on exact size of ex. Large boxes as I had to go to different store to get em, but they are bigger. I'm just not sure appropriate number of birds to put in the boxes. I would like to at least put 2 together so they aren't stressed more by being alone. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Also, I'm moving chickens too so if anyone here has input on that too please throw it out there for me.

Back
Top Bottom