The Ducks of Mirror Lake (Photos)

Sapokanikan

In the Brooder
7 Years
Feb 24, 2012
Good afternoon on this beautiful Sunday everyone!

I live across the street from The Ohio State University. On the campus, there is a pond called Mirror Lake (so called because it used to be the size of a lake before urbanization and irrigation replaced the farms around here) and Mirror Lake has some waterfowl. Armed with my new knowledge of ducks, I decided to check out what kinds of ducks visited the pond. Today was the first warm day in a long time, so I didn't expect there to be too many ducks. The photos were taken on my cell phone, so the quality isn't too great.

The first duck I see is this guy here, swimming along in the water. I think he is a Muscovy.

He is quickly followed by a Mallard drake and duck (correct me if I'm wrong).

Now, I was standing on the edge of the pond and there were only four ducks I could see in the water (another Mallard not pictured and these three). I heard some rustling behind me and saw five ducks coming down the hill towards me. I don't know where they came from. In this photo you can see four of them (one behind the near tree). The low resolution and size makes this a poor shot, but I wanted to get this moment.

I was surprised when all of these ducks did not hop right into the water, but they actually came right up to me and encircled me! Two ducks not in this photo are behind me, but I didn't want to turn suddenly and scare them. They are all within a foot or two from me.

One of them settled in front of me and had a staring contest. Very adorable.

They lost interest after about a few minutes, but I was certain for a bit there that they were going to draw knives on me or something. I suppose they must have positive interactions with the students to be this trusting of strangers. I snapped two more photos of the great plumage on some of these ducks.

So yeah, I had a great visit. Ducks are awesome! I cannot wait until I am able to raise my own ducks someday, but in the meantime, I am going to be visiting Mirror Lake more often now that I know these ducks are here.

Hope you enjoyed the photos and I apologize again for the quality.

Wow! Those guys are beautiful!!!
love.gif

welcome-byc.gif
from a fellow Buckeye!

I'm sure those ducks have gotten a lot of handouts from students. They were probably waiting for you to give them a snack. :)

welcome-byc.gif
from a fellow Buckeye!

I'm sure those ducks have gotten a lot of handouts from students. They were probably waiting for you to give them a snack. :)

Yeah I should come prepared next time. Poor duckies missing out on their duck welfare.

Muscovies are so pretty and friendly, maybe thats why i have 10. Be sure to take them something nutritious. They will be your friend forever. and
welcome-byc.gif

There's a small pond inside a park near me that has wild mallards.

I've seen them get out of the pond and walk up to a guy who comes to the park and feeds them. I tried to approach them once and they went straight to the water. I don't know what he is feeding them, but it has to be caviar or better..............
droolin.gif

There's a small pond inside a park near me that has wild mallards.

I've seen them get out of the pond and walk up to a guy who comes to the park and feeds them. I tried to approach them once and they went straight to the water. I don't know what he is feeding them, but it has to be caviar or better..............
droolin.gif

Probably bread, I don't know why ducks and geese love bread so much, I give mine a tiny taste of w/w bread everyday and you'd think I was giving them a t-bone steak they love it so much.

Probably bread, I don't know why ducks and geese love bread so much, I give mine a tiny taste of w/w bread everyday and you'd think I was giving them a t-bone steak they love it so much.
Same here Miss Lydia. I throw out the crust/scraps from the Human Girls lunch and here they come.

Back
Top Bottom