1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

The due date is almost here!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by ORCatnChickenMom, Jun 20, 2018.

1. ORCatnChickenMom

ORCatnChickenMom In the Brooder

Jun 20, 2018
    In a few days I pick up the four new members to our family: 2 Orpington chicks and 2 Americauna chicks (and I hope they will be hens). Our family includes several cats and this is the first time to have chickens added to our "flock." Like any first-time mom, I'm excited and nervous at the same time (What if I don't keep them warm enough? What if they get sick? What if they don't eat? What if....). I have a coop, but when they are older I also want them to be outside in a chicken tractor or an outdoor pen so they can enjoy the sun, eat bugs, roll around in the earth and feel the grass beneath their toes. I figure I have a few months to decide on a design and build one that is best suited for these four girls. Always appreciate helpful tips and suggestions, too.

drumstick diva and Farmer Connie like this.
  2. BlueBaby

BlueBaby Free Ranging

Mar 21, 2016
    Maricopa, AZ. (near Phoenix)
    Hello, and welcome to BYC!

3. alexa009

alexa009 Crowing

Apr 6, 2017
    Texas
    My Coop
    Welcome to Backyard Chickens!:frow Glad you joined the flock! BYC is a very helpful and informative site about poultry! Make sure you keep an eye on your cat around those chicks. Hope you enjoy it here!

4. Hen Pen Jem

Hen Pen Jem Crowing

Sep 19, 2017
    Southern California
  5. Farmer Connie

Farmer Connie LORD OF THE FEED Premium Member

Feb 28, 2017
    Florida Peninsula
    My Coop
  6. Pork Pie

Pork Pie Flockwit Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to our community - thanks for joining us.

On this link you'll find lots of information on almost every aspect of keeping birds - from coop building ideas, to incubating eggs - https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/

There’s a link on the page above to the Learning Centre - it’s a great resource. If you have a specific topic in mind, just type it in the search box - there's a wealth of information on past and present threads.

Each week, various topics are discussed, which can also be a great resource - https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/topic-of-the-week-thread-archive

Here’s a link to general links and the different forums on BYC - https://www.backyardchickens.com/misc/quick-navigation-menu

You can use this link to contact members in your area - Find Your State Thread

Best wishes

Pork Pie

Farmer Connie likes this.
  7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member 9 Years

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard chickens. Please keep an eye on the cats, especially if you have young chicks.

8. ORCatnChickenMom

ORCatnChickenMom In the Brooder

Jun 20, 2018
    Thanks - everyone - for the advice regarding the cats. The chicks will be in an enclosed pen until they're old enough and big enough to... stand up for themselves and chase the cats! ;-)

Farmer Connie likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: