The Egg Mystery šŸ™ƒ

HarmonyHorsey

Songster
Jul 24, 2023
South Africa
My Coop
My Coop
This is the egg mystery for all you eggspert chicken people to solve or for all you eggnorant chicken owners like me to mull over.....

Roosterette, my pullet who had so far laid perfect big eggs from the moment she started laying two eeks ago, suddenly didn't lay for two whole days. I had found two soft shelled eggs in the tractor, but it seems wierd that Roosterette laid them based on her previous status...On the other hand there are two pullets that have reddened combs and might lay soon. The third and fourth day Roosterette laid two perfect eggs again.

As well as that, my black Araucana laid at 5:30 pm yesterday evening.

Just thought I'd drop this by everyone....

Harmony

That seems pretty normal to me. Young pullets often lay weird eggs, like soft shells, teeny-tiny eggs, funny-shaped shells, or miss a day or two, for the first month or so. Also, most hens do not necessarily lay at the same time every day. It actually takes 25 hours for an egg to develop, not 24, so many will lay at different times of the day.

That seems pretty normal to me. Young pullets often lay weird eggs, like soft shells, teeny-tiny eggs, funny-shaped shells, or miss a day or two, for the first month or so. Also, most hens do not necessarily lay at the same time every day. It actually takes 25 hours for an egg to develop, not 24, so many will lay at different times of the day.
Ok thanks. I thought so

This is the egg mystery for all you eggspert chicken people to solve or for all you eggnorant chicken owners like me to mull over.....

Roosterette, my pullet who had so far laid perfect big eggs from the moment she started laying two eeks ago, suddenly didn't lay for two whole days. I had found two soft shelled eggs in the tractor, but it seems wierd that Roosterette laid them based on her previous status...On the other hand there are two pullets that have reddened combs and might lay soon. The third and fourth day Roosterette laid two perfect eggs again.

Harmony
Hello, I'd say it's a calcium deficiency, which is causing her to lay soft eggs or none at all. Do they have oyster shells?

Harmony
LOVE the egg colors! I only have one Easter Egger, her little play mate died early. So now, I have one Easter Egger, one Rock Barred, one Golden Laced Wyandotte (she was supposed to have been a Rock Barred), and now I have four Golden Sex Links that are a couple months younger than the "older" 24 week old birds.

Attachments

• IMG_4709.JPG
    IMG_4709.JPG
    465.4 KB · Views: 6

Back
Top Bottom