The end of egg laying ?

jennysbrood

Chirping
Mar 22, 2017
Twain Harte CA
Hello, I have Orpington hens that I LOVE but they have not layed any eggs in awhile and it seems to be more than just a winter issue. They all will be 4yrs. old on Monday, March 1st. Also how long do Orpintons generally live ? Thank you for your help !

Well....
I have 2 4 year old BOs and 1 9 year old BO. They don't really lay very often, especially since they're not the BEST layers to begin with. If you take very good care of them and they're healthy, generally expect another 2-4 years out of them.

I am thinking about 2 months since they have layed . We also have an Orpinton duck hen that was laying each day until she began molting for the first time. The hens would sometimes nest with her, but they usually had their own spot to lay. Did you say that the Orpintons usually live to about 8yrs?

Wow you have had and do have a lot of chickens. I really like having chickens, they are a lot smarter and sweeter than most people think. I want to keep the hens I have now - they are our first set, for the rest of their natural life. We will get more dual purpose hens though so we can can have eggs but to keep every chicken I get until its natural death would be a bit much. Do you think it would be a good idea to keep some hens for 2-3 yrs and then butcher them for meat ?

Wow you have had and do have a lot of chickens. I really like having chickens, they are a lot smarter and sweeter than most people think. I want to keep the hens I have now - they are our first set, for the rest of their natural life. We will get more dual purpose hens though so we can can have eggs but to keep every chicken I get until its natural death would be a bit much. Do you think it would be a good idea to keep some hens for 2-3 yrs and then butcher them for meat ?
if your ok with soup chickens absolutely

if your ok with soup chickens absolutely
Is 2-3 yrs. old then too old to eat. I just thought we could get a couple of good years of laying out of them and let them have a good life before we end it. What do you suggest is the best way to replenish the egg laying but yet have meat too and be nice to the chickens ? I do appreciate everyone's comments and wisdom !

Back
Top Bottom