The Ethel saga

How big is the coop and run, in feet by feet?
Dimensions and pics would help here.
How many birds total....species and genders??

Some birds just don't fit in a flock.
This is where the subtraction part of chicken math come into play.

Here's how to add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
View attachment 3239524
I don’t have any photos of the coop but it’s about 8x12 feet. The run is about 8x20 feet. A couple of the girls can fly over the fence but they both get along with Ethel fine. The coop has an 8 foot ladder style perch.

We have the following chickens who are all hens-
2 cinnamon queens (Augustus & Gandalf)
2 silver laced wyandottes (skeletor & the undertaker)
2 barred rocks (Rico suave & angela)
2 appenzeller spitzhauben (Cassandra & Patricia)
2 ameracaunas (blueberry & Wilma)
1 mille fleur d'uccle bantam (waffle)
1 salmon faverolle (Ethel)

We also have 2 silkie roosters (Sylvester & Stanley)

We have 4 ducks-
2 Swedish blue- both hens (daisy & penelope)
2 khaki Campbell- 1 hen (bunny) & 1 drake (tulip)

So 14 total chickens including the 2 roosters, 4 ducks.

It’s so odd because Augustus and Ethel are both at the bottom of the pecking order. So I’m worried that even if Augustus was isolated and reintroduced she might still try to hurt Ethel.

Well unfortunately Augustus “moved out” this past week when she was hit by a car. My husband says maybe it’s a good thing since she was causing so many problems but Ethel still seems petrified of the other girls but hopefully things will get better now.

Unfortunately you might be better off . I recently rescued a Wyandotte from some dogs but plan on re-homimng her because she's a meanie.
My 2 wyandottes run the roost. They have such angry faces but are so cute and sweet to us. They will literally run up to one of the other girls if they’re eating and just peck them, for no reason. Chicken drama is real lol

My 2 wyandottes run the roost. They have such angry faces but are so cute and sweet to us. They will literally run up to one of the other girls if they’re eating and just peck them, for no reason. Chicken drama is real lol
Exactly! My flock jumped off the roost and marched out after she jumped in the middle of them and pecked the ones on her left and right both.I was forced to give the new hen a new coop or just give her theirs.

I realize this is an old thread and the "mean-girl" is in heaven now... But in case someone is reading this looking for help ... I just want to add that it is not unusual for bottom order birds to fight, théy have more to lose. I set separate feeding stations when there is fighting, it is normally because they think resources are scarce and they are afraid of not getting their needs met. Extra food can get rid of these problems, along with making them as much room as possible in the coop and run. Sometimes they just need more room.

Back
Top Bottom