The experiment begins! How many eggs can you save from a single hen.

Quote:
Great question! Yes I did, but I haven't bothered sorting that out yet. I don't want to have the bator open too much. Plus any eggs that don't hatch will be really easy to read the date on. I did notice that one of the oldest eggs has not hatched yet. I wish I would have paid more careful attention arranging them in the bator according to date. that way I would know without looking which ones were where. Another thing that would have been good would have been to turn the dates facing up when we started lock down.

Last edited:
Once they start hatching and the soccer game commences all the eggs get rearranged anyway
big_smile.png

I have an old farm book that talks about egg fertility and age of egg. In the book it says that someone did an experiment that has a chart with the results. Acording to it at 16 days you have about 78% fertility. Even at 24 days you will still have about 55% fertility. It goes to day 32 and on that day it has about 3% fertility.

It's called "Poultry Production In The South". It was published in 1943. I got it at a rumable sale. It was written for agriculture students and farmers. It has some really neat information.

Back
Top Bottom