The family fun farm

Fonnasfarm

Hatching
5 Years
Sep 14, 2014
I have a pair of white silkies that a rabbit brought us... Also know as the Easter Bunny...and year before last he brought us a couple of French guieanies which are both roosters... My two silkies, that don't know their chickens and have been wonderful pets so far ...have 9 eggs now ... And we have no Clue what to do... Ofcoarse we want them to hatch and live... But I'm afraid the rooster is gonna kill em! Will he?????

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Is the rooster very mean? You may want to keep him and the new ones separated but still within each others' sight for a few weeks.

Good luck!

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

That is too many roosters for these few hens. So you need to separate them from these Silkies. Not only that, but any rooster that is rough with hens, needs to go. Never let the boys be rough with the girls. So keep the boys separate. At least this is what I would do. Especially if these Silkies are young. Older roosters can harm young birds as well.

Good luck with your flock and welcome to ours!

Keep the rooster in another enclosure, fence around the broody mama so she has peace and security. If you don't care to have chicks, remove the rooster and you will not have that problem.Siilkies have very strong broody instincts and some as young as 5 mos. will mother new chicks even though they are still chicks themselves.

That is too many roosters for these few hens. . . . any rooster that is rough with hens, needs to go. Never let the boys be rough with the girls.
Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. X2 on both TwoCrows' statements. The recommended ratio of roosters to hens is 1 rooster for every 10 hens. Too many roosters can be very hard on hens physically; over-breeding them, biting and plucking the feathers from their necks and backs, battering them, and potentially, seriously injuring them. I currently have 25 hens and no roosters in my flock and I get loads of eggs without the aggression, fighting, feeding of nonproductive mouths, crowing in the middle of the night, over-breeding and battering of hens that goes along with having roosters (especially too many). And you definitely don't want to keep an aggressive rooster and breed that kind of aggression into your flock. Please feel free to ask any other questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

Welcome to BYC!

You will find a lot of good information here. Keep on asking questions and you will get many good answers.

You may also want to read the FAQ below.

Back
Top Bottom