The farm gate, installed

Tawanda84

Chirping
Sep 26, 2020
We bought and installed a used galvanized farm gate to keep hens in and hen hurters out. Four months and $210 later it has finally been finished except for a sign. A temporary tin sign reads Allis Chalmers, with the image of my favorite tractor ever. I wrote two pages about it so this is the bare bones story. Hens fear to gate so far; hen hurters have not shown their faces

Here it is, Irrigate, or Irritate gate!

Attachments

• IMG_20220612_155746707_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220612_155746707_HDR.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 3
I've got a similar tube gate. U-bolted a cattle panel to it, and I have to a put a board across the bottom to keep the chickens from scooting underneath it.

That looks really nice for getting a riding lawnmower through.

If I could offer a suggestion on gate installation...
Your left post, it looks like the pins are installed like this:
__|

__|
*This setup allows the gate to be lifted off the rails.

Instead, if you install the pins like this: (flip the top one)
__
....|

__|
*This setup forces the gate to stay mounted until the pins are actually removed from the post.

That looks really nice for getting a riding lawnmower through.

If I could offer a suggestion on gate installation...
Your left post, it looks like the pins are installed like this:
__|

__|
*This setup allows the gate to be lifted off the rails.

Instead, if you install the pins like this: (flip the top one)
__
....|

__|
*This setup forces the gate to stay mounted until the pins are actually removed from the post.
Thank you. Being amateurs, we learned that there is a strap at the top which can be loosened and then bolted to snug up the top pin. If somebody really wants in, there is plenty of easy ways, such as on the other side, which is open.
It is a deterrence not a solid barrier. It is working for us and I am not too worried. It was really hard to put up.

You do not have to understand. It is helping. I do not have to explain and I know determined predators can get into our perimeter. So go stuff your teddy bear with that.
You are too much. Crotchety neighbor with feeble dogs. I worry more about hawks, that cruise overhead frequently.

Back
Top Bottom