The Farmer's Lamp

thefarmerslamp

In the Brooder
5 Years
Oct 15, 2014
Hello,
My family has been farming for as long back as records are kept. Of course, that's just the way they fed their families, but for us, it is a lifestyle choice. We live as close to the way my great-grandparents and grandparents taught me to farm and live as is possible in this modern day. As for chickens...I have loved them since I am able to remember. My grandmother taught me most everything I know about them and I am still as enthralled and crazy about them today as I was as a child. I look forward to learning from you all and maybe even being able to help others too.

frow.gif
and Welcome to backyard chickens. Will you be getting the same breeds your grandmother had?

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. What kind of chickens do you have?

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

So glad you could join our community! Feel free to share your knowledge with us all here!

Thank you for your welcomes. I have had chickens for over 30 years. I have Speckled Sussex, Black Australorps, and Rhode Island Reds. I have 4 "mutts" My grandmother didn't care about breed preservation so she had all kinds and mixtures. I keep my breeds true. Thanks again for your kindness.

Thank you for your welcomes. I have had chickens for over 30 years. I have Speckled Sussex, Black Australorps, and Rhode Island Reds. I have 4 "mutts" My grandmother didn't care about breed preservation so she had all kinds and mixtures. I keep my breeds true. Thanks again for your kindness.

You're welcome. You have some really good breeds. I've had all three of those breeds in my flock, at one time or another, over the past 50 years. I still have Black Australorps in my flock as they are extremely hardy, calm and gentle (my children, and now my granddaughter, made lap pets out of them), and excellent layers of large, brown eggs. My children also made lap pets out of our Speckled Sussex, and they were such friendly birds that I've considered getting some more of them for my flock. Good luck with your flock.

Back
Top Bottom