THE firewood thread

Oh yuck...terrible terrible to have to SEE this ... simply brutal, eh?

Yeh, those are honest to goodness WILD HORSES...really quite a tough break having scenery like that to have to go past...day in, day out!
sickbyc.gif

I razzed the heck outta him regarding his work commute views...but he got even...later...later he got even! Mentioned we could and then said we should not! Not succumb to the temptations... LOL

Mixed forest of birch, pine, spruce, poplar...

Quote:
I mentioned this comment about the firewood sickness to Rick and I could see him wince...

During our drive, he showed me his latest temptation....
gig.gif

He says to me..."And there is that pile of Birch I keep telling you about..."
smile.png

"There are even some rounds already cut that one could just put in the back of the pickup...!!!"
tongue.png

So I laugh and offer to jump out and put them in the back..."Nope," he says (but you can still hear the longing in his voice)...."NOPE! ... We have enough wood...Besides, lookit the mud you would have to negotiate through right now?"

Ah, saved by the mud and clay...but yes, yes...I do see some more rounds of Birch coming home this winter...yeh...I do...ground frozen...yeh...better hope we empty more walls of wood soon!
hmm.png

I guess if firewood collection IS a sickness...I suppose we cannot fight it. It is just too strong and it is too tempting for mere mortals! There are worse addictions and collections I suppose...yessiree

Canook, love your walls of wood. I live in town and have me own walls of wood. Not as big or as many but I have a small lot so I have to stack where I can. Makes my backyard very private.

Sometimes I wonder how people observe a wall of wood...an eye sore or a bank vault? All in all...it is like gold bricks stacked up for us. Realizing that if it stays stacked for too long, it can be a determent in that it will not be good to burn as firewood no more and need to be removed (more work!)...but if you get ill or get busy addressing something ELSE that needs doing...having at least 2 years of wood banked up is well...just that, banked and a saving grace. Last thing we want is to be in need of something we shoulda taken care of ourselves.

I love your walls of wood too! Not just privacy but we are finding the walls of wood are a noise reducer too!

Walls of Wood running behind the building

Rick is doing up a big parking building for all his vintage vehicle projects and the building is situated in front of some of the walls of wood...privacy, wind protection, and less noise is something we are enjoying even now!
wink.png

Anyone use a log jack when cutting firewood?

Not a log jack but have seen Rick use a Peavey to wrangle wood for cutting out in the bush.

Quote:
We are always very careful when we are out in the woods cutting firewood. Dogs stay at home, if at all possible. No distractions allowed.

Talking about distractions...the kid and I (the "kid" is now over 30...so a while ago) were such a distraction (and such entertaining helpers too!) that when we left the one wood cutting site, the kid had taken the Peavey out and not put it back. We got home and figured out that it was missing...too late by then though and it was long gone when Rick returned. Rick had to purchase another Peavey when in reality...I expect one would hardly EVER have had to buy two in your lifetime...without the family helping, of course!
roll.png

Doggone & Chicken UP!

Tara Lee Higgins
Higgins Rat Ranch Conservation Farm, Alberta, Canada

haha your birch temptation reminds me of me last year lol they logged down the road from my house, and left a big pile of birch sitting there all summer... finally in september, i couldnt take it anymore and i called the company that logged it, and asked if i could buy it... $800 later i had 35 cords of wood sitting at the end of my driveway... made some money selling it, and kept my house warm :)

DH and I had worked two weekends on getting about 2 1/2 cord of wood trimmed out of the burn pile, cut into 4' lengths and stacked into a neat pile over at the neighbors ranch. We found that once it was stacked, that beetle killed wood dried quite a bit in the first couple of weeks. We went back three weeks later to move it home and someone had picked the pile and took every log that was over 10" in diameter, we have maybe a 1/2 cord left.. The jerks didn't even restack what they left. DH was so ****** and our friend was really upset. She thinks she knows who took it but we told her not to make a big deal out of it. What a disappointment! At least there are some nice trees left in the burn pile that we can pull out.

That really sucks. Can't believe someone would just steal someone's firewood. I always heard stories about how the old fellas would drill holes in some of their sticks and pack them with black powder when they thought someone was stealing their wood :). Not sure how much of that is true though.

That really sucks. Can't believe someone would just steal someone's firewood. I always heard stories about how the old fellas would drill holes in some of their sticks and pack them with black powder when they thought someone was stealing their wood :). Not sure how much of that is true though.
Here in Minnesota we have "Sven and Ole" jokes about a couple of mischievous Scandinavians. You've got to read it with the Fargo accent.

Ole vas suspektin Sven uf stealin' his firewood. One day he come up vit a gut plan. Ole wrote up a sign ant hung it by da voodpile. Da sign said "ONE uf dese logs is full off gunpowder, Steel at U own reesk!"

Next mornin' ven Ole vent to get an armload to stoke da stoaf, anudder sign vas hangin' unter his. Da new sign said "NOW DER'S TWO!"

About 20 years ago, I had to remove some trees for a local town. We had to actually have the police come and sit all day while we took the trees down. People were grabbing the wood, causing a rucks as we were removing them (in the work area). I thought the ground men were going to abuse a few of them. We tried explaining that we were leaving the wood, but didn't matter. So we had to get the police to baby sit us. I have seen people do funny and not so funny things for wood.

Kaj

Just like to take a moment and apprise you all of a little near miss I had this weekend. Hopefully it'll prevent this from happening to anyone else.

We were finishing up with processing some sticks of wood that we'd had in the backyard for a while. A bunch of these sticks were really thin - think the diameter of your wrist or less. To save time, I figured I'd cut them with a chainsaw, so I had the missus hold them across the sawhorse so she could quickly advance them while I did the cutting. I've done this before without incident, so I'm not sure if it was the saw, or the way the stick was being held, but basically on my very first cut I had a 12" piece of wood thrown at me. The end struck me just below the eye, giving me a an~2"cut under my eye and a pretty nice shiner, but I consider that to be a lucky shot as (as usual) I wasn't wearing any of the appropriate PPE, so a bit higher and it likey would have blinded me and a little lower would have been some pretty expensive dental work.

Consider yourselves warned - be careful out there :)

Back
Top Bottom