"The first chicken it got it took away at least..."

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Pembroke, Aug 20, 2014.

1. Pembroke

Pembroke New Egg

Aug 20, 2014
    So the raccoon got another chicken. Worse, it was middle of day, people around in neighbouring gardens, it didn't kill the chicken but had ripped off it's scalp and most of the beak before we were alerted. Now our prize chicken is sitting in a cardboard box in the greenhouse awaiting one of us to end it's suffering. The first chicken it got it took away at least.
    I built the coop / chicken fortress. It is robust and no predator will get into it nighttime.
    But in terms of giving the chickens freedom to roam the garden daytime, well, I guess those days are over unless there is a body around to watch over them. Largely they will be confined to their quarters from now on.
    I admit to being surprised, even shocked, by such a brazen attack. A long hot summer, plenty of food sources around at present - fruit trees, compost heaps et al. It is far from being a ravenous raccoon. Just brazen and like most urban raccoons pretty fearless.

Going to try man pee on the fence top from over which it arrives. Perhaps a few blasts with the neighbours air rifle to get the message across. Any other suggested methods of keeping rocky out of my garden in the daytime?

Last edited: Aug 20, 2014
  2. boskelli1571

boskelli1571 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Electric fence is a great deterrent if you can afford it. The pee will help, but I'm thinking you will either have to trap or shoot. Your raccoon is a ballsy little thing!!

3. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Have you considered a covered run as outdoor space for your chickens? What happened to your bird is exactly why we do not free range (only difference here is that the hawks are the daytime hazard and the coons more of an after dark threat along with other predators).

I love our run, it's big enough for all our girls to spend the day scratching around, perching or taking a dust bath. They are very content and we keep them safe while they are getting some fresh air. The run is attached to the coop so if they want to go back in (for the nesting boxes, etc.) they can take cover inside easy enough.

I'm sorry about your bird, poor thing. As for the coon, you might want to set a trap for it and try to get rid of it once and for all. I've heard of pee working as a deer deterrent, not sure if it works for raccoons too. An air horn will only scare him away if you see him and even if it works once, he'll probably come back another time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by