The flock is acting strange! Bullying!

Cryss

Eggcentric
6 Years
Nov 12, 2017
Northwest New Jersey
The flock is bullying two hens.
I’ve tried everything for Rosie and Posey. There is no single bully to lock away. It’s the whole flock attacking. It started October 9th when Rosie re-joined the flock with her (approximately) 6 week old babies. At first all was fine. The babies were accepted without question. Then at some point Posey attacked her sister Rosie and they tussled. I figured it was just some pecking order stuff. She was instantly separated from the babies by the attack. Rosie ran around try to get near her babies but now everyone was in on the pecking order attack. Then for some weird reason the flock started in on her lookalike sister, Posey. It started looking brutal with several flock members cornering and attacking at once. I tried letting them work it out. They hid in the coop where there is no food/water. After about 2 days of no food and water I tried putting food/water in the coop (something I never do except in emergencies or when broody breaking). The flock would just eat it up while the two hid in corners of nests. I tried locking them into the broody breaker dog cage inside the coop for several days with their own food and water like I used to do for introductions before I built the small coop/run inside the main run. They hid inside the coop when I let them out. I tried putting them in the small coop/run for 2 weeks, then moved them in the middle of the night inside the main coop onto the roost. All of the usual introductions are not working. They hide in corners and wherever they can find inside the coop. They will not go outdoors. I saw Posey try and about half the flock jumped her. They are 3 years and 1 month old. They lay the prettiest and smallest blue eggs. They are Blue Wheaten Ameracaunas. This is beyond pecking order. I’m at my wits end. 🤷🏻‍♀️

I've never seen anything like that. I could see a dominant rooster or the dominant hen trying to stop the fighting but not the whole flock continuing to attack after it is all over.

It sounds like the two get along with each other OK now. It sounds like you might have the facilities to try this. Try putting a hen low in the pecking order with those two and see if they get along. If it works, keep adding another hen to that flock until you have enough to try letting them all merge at one time. I can't come up with anything else.

I've never seen anything like that. I could see a dominant rooster or the dominant hen trying to stop the fighting but not the whole flock continuing to attack after it is all over.

It sounds like the two get along with each other OK now. It sounds like you might have the facilities to try this. Try putting a hen low in the pecking order with those two and see if they get along. If it works, keep adding another hen to that flock until you have enough to try letting them all merge at one time. I can't come up with anything else.
That actually sounds doable! I’ll be giving it a try😁👍🏻
If anyone has any opposing or agreeing thoughts on this please share!

How did it work out?
I started by adding sweet Bunny to the sisters Rosie and Posey. That went well so I added Eggsmerelda the next day. Still all good. Two days later I added Kitkit. She can be touchy but she’s not high on the pecking order. Well, it didn’t go badly but they don’t exactly cozy up.

Then I got sick. They stayed in this group for a week or so. ( I lost track while under the weather).

Last night we moved Rosie, Posey, Bunny, Kitkit, and Eggsmerelda all into the coop onto the roost in pitch dark. This morning Rosie and Posey hid inside the coop all day while the others all reintegrated. I’m at a loss. I’m not supplying food indoors for them, trying to force them to venture outside. No go yet. I block the nests at night mostly because of the babies. Rosie Posey huddled into a corner of the poop board behind Albert. 🙇🏼‍♀️

I’m going to give it a couple days without interference hoping hunger and thirst makes them fight for position. I’ll be watching to see who the bullies are. My next move will be to separate the bullies. If I absolutely must. It’s the only move I have left. 🤦🏻‍♀️

I started by adding sweet Bunny to the sisters Rosie and Posey. That went well so I added Eggsmerelda the next day. Still all good. Two days later I added Kitkit. She can be touchy but she’s not high on the pecking order. Well, it didn’t go badly but they don’t exactly cozy up.

Then I got sick. They stayed in this group for a week or so. ( I lost track while under the weather).

Last night we moved Rosie, Posey, Bunny, Kitkit, and Eggsmerelda all into the coop onto the roost in pitch dark. This morning Rosie and Posey hid inside the coop all day while the others all reintegrated. I’m at a loss. I’m not supplying food indoors for them, trying to force them to venture outside. No go yet. I block the nests at night mostly because of the babies. Rosie Posey huddled into a corner of the poop board behind Albert. 🙇🏼‍♀️

I’m going to give it a couple days without interference hoping hunger and thirst makes them fight for position. I’ll be watching to see who the bullies are. My next move will be to separate the bullies. If I absolutely must. It’s the only move I have left. 🤦🏻‍♀️
I'm sorry to hear it's still not working out. Crossing my fingers for you!

I don't have much useful advice I'm afraid. It's heartbreaking, but you might need to look into rehoming Rosie and Posey. They might do better in a different flock.

Maybe if you can ID the main bullies, and remove them for a while, Rosie and Posey will integrate, and then you would need to rehome the bullies.

Sorry there doesn't seem to be a great solution here. Sending you supportive thoughts.

Thank you. Yes this is a hard one. These two are 3 year old Blue Wheaten Ameracauna. They are gentle and friendly. I love the blue eggs.
I do indeed plan to cage the bullies as my next step. After that my choice is rehoming or permanently separating them from the flock. I’m not giving up yet.

I had let them out hoping they’d find their way back into the flock. Instead they hid in nests all day. Here we go again back to square one. Impossible to see who the biggest bullies are because the “victims” aren’t going near anyone. They’re like ghosts, never seen. After a couple of days of them refusing to go into the run for food and water I decided they had no possibility of being seen enough to be recognized as a flock member. Since I can’t separate a bully ( cuz I can’t tell who a bully is) I’m playing a bit of hard ball. I waited until I figured most hens had laid their eggs. I locked the pop door to prevent anyone going inside. I physically carried the ghosts out of the coop and into the run. I watched as they found places to hide. A favorite is they try to hide behind the waterer but get stuck every time. I pull them back out. I did this for. About 4 days I repeated this. They still hide. 🤷🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️ Yesterday I decided I’m letting them make their own decisions. They hid inside. I don’t have any answers. Today I too a treat to the run and was surprised to see one of them sneaking a bit of food then running like a madman back inside. The other came out for a second to try it but just ended up running back in. I’m hoping they get hungry enough to come out more often. 🙇🏼‍♀️

The flock is bullying two hens.
I’ve tried everything for Rosie and Posey. There is no single bully to lock away. It’s the whole flock attacking. It started October 9th when Rosie re-joined the flock with her (approximately) 6 week old babies. At first all was fine. The babies were accepted without question. Then at some point Posey attacked her sister Rosie and they tussled. I figured it was just some pecking order stuff. She was instantly separated from the babies by the attack. Rosie ran around try to get near her babies but now everyone was in on the pecking order attack. Then for some weird reason the flock started in on her lookalike sister, Posey. It started looking brutal with several flock members cornering and attacking at once. I tried letting them work it out. They hid in the coop where there is no food/water. After about 2 days of no food and water I tried putting food/water in the coop (something I never do except in emergencies or when broody breaking). The flock would just eat it up while the two hid in corners of nests. I tried locking them into the broody breaker dog cage inside the coop for several days with their own food and water like I used to do for introductions before I built the small coop/run inside the main run. They hid inside the coop when I let them out. I tried putting them in the small coop/run for 2 weeks, then moved them in the middle of the night inside the main coop onto the roost. All of the usual introductions are not working. They hide in corners and wherever they can find inside the coop. They will not go outdoors. I saw Posey try and about half the flock jumped her. They are 3 years and 1 month old. They lay the prettiest and smallest blue eggs. They are Blue Wheaten Ameracaunas. This is beyond pecking order. I’m at my wits end. 🤷🏻‍♀️
It usually takes weeks for 6 week old chicks to be accepted by the flock .I haven't a clue whats going on in your flock since you're saying the chicks are fine but the momma hen was attacked by all of them after her sister attacked her.It would be interesting to know how many sq feet you have in the coop minus nest boxes,how many hrs they're locked up at night and if you free range any.how big the run is.Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom