The Fricken Chicken story!

Pics
After dark I went out and stuffed all the babies in the dog box, so they get the idea where to sleep. Well they all was happily out eating this morning, after sun rise. They seem to enjoy their new area!
20200812_064316.jpg

From left to right.
Toodles: Mille Fluer D'uccle and maybe partridge cochin cross.
Noodle: White silkie roo and Mille Fluer D'uccle hen cross
Nessy and Hippogriff: No idea what they actually are. They come from TSC. Solid Black feathers, black skin and comb, 5 toes on each foot. Im assuming a silkie cross, but not a clue what else. Marked as Southern Ramblers. Growing up to be some large chicks!

View attachment 2230057
Griff: griff has a crest coming in.
View attachment 2230063
Nessy
View attachment 2230064
Noodle
View attachment 2230065View attachment 2230066
Toodles: Toodles and Noodle come from my moms hatch this year. Not entirely sure if Toodles is a cochin or OEGB chick. I do know she is part D'uccle, and pretty sure she is a pullet!
View attachment 2230097
I had a couple of those "Southern Ramblers," too! I would love to know what kind they were, as I lost them a couple of weeks ago. They were beautiful -- a pretty hen, Shade, and the most handsome rooster I've ever owned, Eclipse.
I wish that I had pictures....
Anyway, you have a gorgeous flock!

I had a couple of those "Southern Ramblers," too! I would love to know what kind they were, as I lost them a couple of weeks ago. They were beautiful -- a pretty hen, Shade, and the most handsome rooster I've ever owned, Eclipse.
I wish that I had pictures....
Anyway, you have a gorgeous flock!
Did yours make it to laying age? I'm curious as to what color eggs they will lay. I think Nessy is a pullet, and Griffy is a rooster. I know they are a silkie hybrid, maybe with ayam? Jet black, with an iridescent sheen of purple and green. Almost like and oil spill color. They sure have a striking resemblance of my friends pure Ayam the same age. But who knows. They are cool!

We are getting somewhere finally! Babies mini run should be done today! For a project made of scrap wood and supplies, it is actually not bad. I didn't want to spend any money to make this. The only thing I purchased was hinges and latches. Dog box was free, actually has been passed around our family for about 15 years now. Still solid as an ox though! All the wood, was random bits and pieces we had laying around. But we made it work! Lol total project cost, under 20 bucks!

We have a few odds and ends to wrap up. I need a rope for my feed and water, to hang them. Need a small vent in the back of the box. I'll have to level the ground up today, then move the box and frame it in around the back so no breech holes. Should be safe after it's set and finished. Here is the general concept! Disregard the railing piece hanging in there. That's not supposed to be there. Pictures give a general idea!View attachment 2285750View attachment 2285751
Really well done. I enjoy projects like this when I have time. Of course when I do it I have several chicken inspectors to provide suggestions and approve the final construction! 😆

Back
Top Bottom