The Fricken Chicken story!

Pics
So I made a tough decision yesterday on my young boys. My sweet Gmork and Master Griff went to new homes. Someome wanted Gmork, and Griff for breeding. I think my white frizzle chick is a hen, and I rather have hens anyways.
Mr. Noodle is going back to my mom's. That will leave me with Falkor and little Hercules (was Hera, I suppose it could be a girl, I dont know silkies are confusing)
I also gave away 4 of my chicks to the same lady who took my 2 boys. The 2 standard EE, and 2 of my EE/seabright. I kept the 3 silkies and the bearded seabright.
It was a hard decision, but I think the right one. I haven't taken Mr. Noodle to my moms yet. To be honest, I may not for a few more weeks, or ever.
My flock is going to be a little more empty when I open my door, but I bet the young pullets will be relieved to not be molested all day. 🤦‍♀️😂

Check out this beautiful boy! He is Griffy's brother! Holy Halloween Chook!
20200916_061634.jpg

Last edited:
So I made a tough decision yesterday on my young boys. My sweet Gmork and Master Griff went to new homes. Someome wanted Gmork, and Griff for breeding. I think my white frizzle chick is a hen, and I rather have hens anyways.
Mr. Noodle is going back to my mom's. That will leave me with Falkor and little Hercules (was Hera, I suppose it could be a girl, I dont know silkies are confusing)
I also gave away 4 of my chicks to the same lady who took my 2 boys. The 2 standard EE, and 2 of my EE/seabright. I kept the 3 silkies and the bearded seabright.
It was a hard decision, but I think the right one. I haven't taken Mr. Noodle to my moms yet. To be honest, I may not for a few more weeks, or ever.
My flock is going to be a little more empty when I open my door, but I bet the young pullets will be relieved to not be molested all day. 🤦‍♀️😂
As they say, chicken math includes subtraction. It seems like you have done good by them. That is the best we can do.

Last night at the chickens bed time, I started making my rounds. Did head count on my youngins in the grow out pen, 3 Brahma ✔, 2 Polish ✔, 3 EE ✔, 2 CWs ✔. Next the main coop... 5 Biggins ✔, 6 bantams ✔, 5 of my dust bunnies (2 silkie, and the 3 others all pile on the floor in the corner lol) ❌...... only 4 are there, Hercules, Iris, Mary, and Clover.. I couldn't find Lilly!!! I was slightly freaking out, searching all over, yelling for her, and it was getting dark. So I go grab my flashlight, because my phone light just don't cut it. I'm sifting through the bushes, and her favorite spots. It was getting darker by the minute, and I was trying to find a mirco black chicken.. so I go back to the coop, because I swear she was accounted for inside the run earlier that evening.... So here I am back in the coop, looking under other larger chicken. Still no sign of Lilly. Then I heard a slight chirp above me???

That little booger found herself quite the snug roost....
20200915_193551.jpg
20200915_193645.jpg

As they say, chicken math includes subtraction. It seems like you have done good by them. That is the best we can do.
I think they will be loved. The lady's son seem to enjoy them. He knew alot about different breeds and was excited to have a nice frizzle rooster to hatch eggs from. If I had the new coop built. I would have turned the old one into a bachelor pad. But winter is coming fast in Ohio. So I wanted to make sure my flock will not conflict with one another. Some times in the winter, I leave them in the coop all day. But thats only when it gets into the negatives!!!

Last night at the chickens bed time, I started making my rounds. Did head count on my youngins in the grow out pen, 3 Brahma ✔, 2 Polish ✔, 3 EE ✔, 2 CWs ✔. Next the main coop... 5 Biggins ✔, 6 bantams ✔, 5 of my dust bunnies (2 silkie, and the 3 others all pile on the floor in the corner lol) ❌...... only 4 are there, Hercules, Iris, Mary, and Clover.. I couldn't find Lilly!!! I was slightly freaking out, searching all over, yelling for her, and it was getting dark. So I go grab my flashlight, because my phone light just don't cut it. I'm sifting through the bushes, and her favorite spots. It was getting darker by the minute, and I was trying to find a mirco black chicken.. so I go back to the coop, because I swear she was accounted for inside the run earlier that evening.... So here I am back in the coop, looking under other larger chicken. Still no sign of Lilly. Then I heard a slight chirp above me???

That little booger found herself quite the snug roost.... View attachment 2335766View attachment 2335788
She a flyer that one! I love it. :love Boy they can give you heart attacks, can't they! This is for your stress. :hugs

I think they will be loved. The lady's son seem to enjoy them. He knew alot about different breeds and was excited to have a nice frizzle rooster to hatch eggs from. If I had the new coop built. I would have turned the old one into a bachelor pad. But winter is coming fast in Ohio. So I wanted to make sure my flock will not conflict with one another. Some times in the winter, I leave them in the coop all day. But thats only when it gets into the negatives!!!
That is very smart. I will do the same thing. I overbuilt my coop so I could lock them in for days in the case of subzero weather. Unfortunately it is necessary sometimes up here.

I had a moment yesterday when I could not find Phyllis.
20200914_231146.jpg

Here she had roosted early. Very early. Over an hour before sunset. I counted the flock, only had 5. Figured out it was Phyllis that was missing.

Now Phyllis knows her name and comes when called. I called her and called her, no Phyllis. This is when you start to think bad thoughts. Just two or three days ago a hawk killed a songbird on the roof of my neighbors house and ate it in her tree. Phyllis is small enough......

But the flock had never alarmed. I started walking out across the deck and pool calling her name and I hear a thump from the coop. She finally decided to come and give up whatever spot on the roost she wanted so bad. Out the door she dashed and to my legs.

What did she get for giving me a heart attack, treats of course!

Back
Top Bottom