The Front Porch Swing

How old do they have to be before they can be on wet ground?

Some say 13 weeks or older. My 6 week olds are out and about and we have had a lot of rain. I noticed a shed intestinal lining in a poop tonight, so I will treat and isolate if needed. The little buggers escaped and there's no containing them now, so I will just keep a watch. They have been eating the older turkeys food, so it's been non medicated. I need to pen up the yucks so I can use medicated feed for all the turkeys.

Crystal, No, but thanks for the offer!
hugs.gif
Only eggs hatching here for the rest of the year are from my flock, by broody hens. I'm trying to find homes for some of the ones I hatched this spring and have a target number to reach before winter is here....
hide.gif
...that number is a little higher each winter....
I have been estimating the number of chickens/chicks we have had all year at around 300-350 considering the amount we have sold lately and my count this weekend of 325 I may have been a little low. That suggest we probably were well into the 400's at the end of spring
th.gif
. We still have several in the incubator(most of the shipped ones are not looking so well though)
somad.gif
. We are planning on making a large hatch of mostly our birds in early fall/late summer of around 300 chicks to grow out for next year. We swapped so much that we were shipping almost 90 percent of what the laid for us. Looks like I will have plenty of Australorp Roos for the freezer, They always hatch 50/50 for us. Speaking of Australorps(my turn to rant) we bought 36 eggs from a breeder out of KY(didn't know him but pics looked good) to widen our gene pool had a great hatch but most of them have some stray white feathers on the bottom of the wings, so they are not going to make the cut(maybe good layers and supper).

You know. With how deadly Coccidia is I am amazed at how paranoid people are of MG. MG in most cases doesn’t cause death or even symptoms unless combined with some other disease. I am trying to figure out if my experience with it is normal…I have no symptoms at all in my flock. I have lost birds to Coccidia but not a single one to MG. My birds are happy and seemingly absolutely healthy. I wish I could get someone out to do a blood test. It might be that I don’t even have MG. I keep thinking there has to be something more to it than what I have experienced for people to be so paranoid about it.

You know.  With how deadly Coccidia is I am amazed at how paranoid people are of MG.  MG in most cases doesn’t cause death or even symptoms unless combined with some other disease.  I am trying to figure out if my experience with it is normal…I have no symptoms at all in my flock. I have lost birds to Coccidia but not a single one to MG.  My birds are happy and seemingly absolutely healthy.  I wish I could get someone out to do a blood test.  It might be that I don’t even have MG.  I keep thinking there has to be something more to it than what I have experienced for people to be so paranoid about it.

After my own experience with MG, I think you should get retested, too! Mine were in horrible condition and dying miserable deaths. But I've not had coccidia problems, and I usually brood on the ground.

I lost some a few months ago to coccidia because of my own stupidity. I had thought it wasn't a big deal that they were being messy with their water. and I didn't know the signs. live and learn. I lost 7 chicks...they just kept dying. it was awful. by the time I got it under control I was shellshocked. That was 1/3 of my chicks!!!

Psy people are paranoid of anything that makes a bird a carrier for life or can be passed to humans.

Anything else once it is gone its gone.

We have one end of the barn that has been trouble for us, we keep using it for space and guess what, when it rains it pours. Well one of our stalls is getting a concrete floor and will be used to brood in. The other will need about 150 feet of gutter replaced.

I am here...finally. what a long day. whew, tired now.

We are having a bunch of people over for 4th of July. So this weekend is crash and burn on cleaning house, cooking prep etc. And husband just got the flu. I figure I'll be getting it in 2 days. bleah.

So I started cleaning tonight. the kitchen is now clean. & the floors, but I will have to do those again. Husband is sleeping so cant do anything on that side of the house. I stress over entertaining big time so about now is when I start thinking: why did I EVER agree to do this!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom