The Front Porch Swing

Quote: I have seen these plans on line and very much like the construction. If you are in the hot part of Texas I would Highly suggest Lindas advice. Situate one solid wall to the prevailing wind. You can do the whole construction like your pix but leave it all open. But for time and construction a Dog kennel is a very good choice. Intitial investment depending on where you go is probably around 200 - 300 dollars. Mine run 6 x 12 all home depot panels. To make one up it takes six for the walls. Five solid panels and one with a gate. YOu could do the same kind of roof as in the picture. Just fasten wood to the top edges of the kennel panels then you can run your joists across.

You dont need special hardware for this just a couple of good clamps and self tapping sheet metal screws that are long enough to go through the wood and then through the top of the Kennel panels. I personally would use six foot lengths in this case so that if you decide to increase the size of the kennel you can without much trouble. That ability to expand is the beauty of dog kennels.

Or you could do like I did was eventually buy two more kennel panels and fasten them on top for a predator secure space. I use tarps fro summer and winter elemental protection.

What ever you do for the Coop in your picture or for a dog kennel.... Cover every space with Hardware cloth. for the wood coop it should be covered 100 percent. For the kennel you only have to cover spaces where raccoons can reach in and grab a sleeping chicken off its roost.

Kennel panels will protect against dog cat and flying predators. But not Raccoons

Check out my coop rebuild link in the bottom of my signature and I have some sketches about how to fasten perches on wire. Its simple very inexpensive and they can be moved at a moments notice. Ideal for youngsters just learning to perch then when they get to be better fliers they can be moved up to a better height.

I mounted the nest boxes the same way but with two perches then I fasten the nest boxes to them with screws.

I need to draw that up...

deb

Jellybean... depending on your weather (cold, rain, snow, etc) I like this plain ol' shed type coop. You could put windows in the two sides and outside access nests and a run in front. You can cover the open side in hardware cloth and cover part of it with clear plastic should the weather get bad. I also like the tin instead of wood - wish I had done that on mine. That would help should you ever get lice/mites in your coop and it would last a loooong time maintenance free.

Jellybean... depending on your weather (cold, rain, snow, etc) I like this plain ol' shed type coop. You could put windows in the two sides and outside access nests and a run in front. You can cover the open side in hardware cloth and cover part of it with clear plastic should the weather get bad. I also like the tin instead of wood - wish I had done that on mine. That would help should you ever get lice/mites in your coop and it would last a loooong time maintenance free.

I like this one as well.... Very nice. These are the kind that KuntryGirl uses. IF it were my construction though MY modification would be to have only two walls and the roof. Air circulation is paramount in the heat. I would use a tarp for the third wall for winter time.

deb

We neutered a cat with a sheep bander once and it was quite successful. We had even talked about doing it to Ben but Mom got a little nervous about that.
big_smile.png
So, Ben will be neutered and get his rabies shots as soon as we can. Did you know they send them home on pain meds now?
th.gif
Back in the day they got chopped and sent home with a pat on the head. Folks turning these animals into sissies now......
old.gif
One of my dogs had surgery to correct a broken leg, had plates, pins and stitches, not to mention a cast and they never once mentioned pain meds...I had trouble getting them to give her anything for pain at all throughout the whole ordeal...now THAT dog needed pain relief! Boys and balls? Nah...makes 'em tough.

That's how we neuter our bull calfs. Tie a band around em and they fall off after a while. Gotta make sure they are in there though. One of our neighbors didn't make sure both were dropped yet and missed one. The calf died from a nasty infection soon after.

Last edited:
Sun, sun, Mr. Golden Sun please shine down on me.
wee.gif
It's almost 60* and sunny today. You have no idea what this does for ones mood after 4 months of -0* and snow.
I am in the process of hatching my first batch of eggs. I'm on day 15. I've had a lot of temperature regulation issues so I'm a little nervous about this. Last night I candled them and 80% of them had little chickies moving around. My kids think I need to be heavily medicated.... I was cheering the little chickies on if I didn't seem them moving right away~ I would start singing come on little chicky chicky you can do it. Once I would see them moving around I did a little happy dance. This is SO cool. Any body have wise words of wisdom for the brooder I will be building this week?? Jen

Sun, sun, Mr. Golden Sun please shine down on me. :weee It's almost 60* and sunny today.  You have no idea what this does for ones mood after 4 months of -0* and snow. 
I am in the process of hatching my first batch of eggs. I'm on day 15. I've had a lot of temperature regulation issues so I'm a little nervous about this. Last night I candled them and 80% of them had little chickies moving around.  My kids think I need to be heavily medicated.... I was cheering the little chickies on if I didn't seem them moving right away~ I would start singing come on little chicky chicky you can do it. Once I would see them moving around I did a little happy dance.  This is SO cool.  Any body have wise words of wisdom for the brooder I will be building this week?? Jen

I am right there with you. It's my first hatch and the temperatures have fluctuated so much I'm nervous. I've only seen a couple move but then I wonder if it's my brain playing with me because I want them to move so bad. Lol. I put my chicks in a cow water trough. One thing I've learned is ventilation. It definitely needs ventilation. The girls on here have some great ideas that I'm going to incorporate this time.

Really bummed out. I mentioned that my babies came from Meyers and that the Delawares are really puny . Lost 2 the first 3 days and another 2 today. I thought I caught one by bringing her in and washing in warm water and blow dry. An hour later she was up and eating. Now she's gone also. 4 out of 7. Really bad batch this year. Golden comets and White rocks are going great. Sad.
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom