The Front Porch Swing

Here's our Banty, who we call Crazy Black Hen who hatched a regular egg and our regular hen who we call Pretty Mama hatched a little Banty. Way to go Team Hens.

Awww what cutie pies.... What breeds are your hens?

When I had my big free range flock... All Barnyard mixes Mosly Bantam crosses... I had two Teeny bantam hens who were the Hatching work horses for the whole flock. One little hen layed blue eggs and one layed white.

At first they would just disappear... and I would think the worst.. Because this is the desert here. chickens are a prime target for predators. Then Pop one day they would be out at the feeder with eight or ten little Zoomie chicks... All the other chickens would be giving momma and brood a WIDE Birth.. At that time I had an approximate flock size of about 30. By the end of the day everyone was heaving a big sigh... LOL back to business as usual.

I finally found the nest one day when I walked from the house to the coop and heard a very throaty growl.... I thought... Hmm that was a chicken growl.... I went to the coop and did what ever i was on a mission for and headed back to the house.

The moment I heard the growl again I froze. and Looked around .... The sound was too clear to be far away. So I scanned with my periphrieal vision to see movement. None.... I finally looked down by my feet.... I was about six inches away from the Rosemary bush. And spotted a Beady eye glaring at me.... I STILL couldnt see the hen.

Previously this was the favored spot to dust bath by the flock and I knew there was a depression there about a food in diameter and about four or five inches deep. That hen was so pancaked in she was flush with the ground. Her patterning was very much like your light colored bantam.

Perfect spot... close to food and water and within the confines of the yard. Still not perfectly predator proof but under the watchful eye of the Three watch dog roosters. AND the Guineas.

deb

Awww what cutie pies....  What breeds are your hens?

When I had my big free range flock...  All Barnyard mixes Mosly Bantam crosses... I had two Teeny bantam hens who were the Hatching work horses for the whole flock.  One little hen layed blue eggs and one layed white. 

At first they would just disappear... and I would think the worst..  Because this is the desert here.  chickens are a prime target for predators. Then Pop one day they would be out at the feeder with eight or ten little Zoomie chicks...  All the other chickens would be giving momma and brood a WIDE Birth..  At that time I had an approximate flock size of about 30. By the end of the day everyone was heaving a big sigh... LOL  back to business as usual.

I finally found the nest one day when I walked from the house to the coop and heard a very throaty growl....  I thought... Hmm that was a chicken growl....  I went to the coop and did what ever i was on a mission for and headed back to the house.

The moment I heard the growl again I froze. and Looked around ....  The sound was too clear to be far away.  So I scanned with my periphrieal vision to see movement.  None....  I finally looked down by my feet....  I was about six inches away from the Rosemary bush.  And spotted a Beady eye glaring at me....  I STILL couldnt see the hen.

Previously this was the favored spot to dust bath by the flock and I knew there was a depression there about a food in diameter and about four or five inches deep.  That hen was so pancaked in she was flush with the ground.  Her patterning was very much like your light colored bantam. 

Perfect spot... close to food and water and within the confines of the yard.  Still not perfectly predator proof but under the watchful eye of the Three watch dog roosters.  AND the Guineas.

deb

I'm not sure what they are. Barnyard mutts? They are my grandmothers that we've started helping her care for, so I'm learning about them as I go. We have another black hen setting as well. Between the three we are 12/12 on baby chicks!

Unfortunately ours aren't free range. Too many dogs. Individually the dogs don't bother them, but if they ever got in the Pack mentality it would be bad.

I love that your mama hen had the perfect hideout. Camo hen!

Last edited:
Yes I was very vocal online about that. The city im in is like small town usa. Miles around people are interrelated. Most unless I flub on asking for things think im Libyan and ancestrally I am. She more than likely was a mulatto or octroon woman. But my mtdna says im from north africa but anyways I dont venture far from home and I dont go into the city without males accompanying me. My father was Navy and I was raised to be aware of my surroundings. There are many of us foriegn women and since we are married living here not part of a company working here we are looked at as equals. I may not be active but I do keep informed and current and have places I can go if needed. But thanks for worrying about me. Im in the best of hands...

Well, I just got an upsetting e-mail. The concert (Travis Tritt and Charlie Daniels Band) my husband and I were going to go to this Saturday in NC has been cancelled
sad.png

It was our 6th anniversary thing… we even were going to take the boys to his dad's house for the night… and we never get sitters for anything or do anything just the two of us. I was really looking forward to this… Even splurged and got the VIP passes. I love Travis Tritt's music. Looks like our Saturday is WIDE open now! Oh wait… chicks should be hatching Saturday and Sunday. Things just got a bit brighter.

Well, I just got an upsetting e-mail. The concert (Travis Tritt and Charlie Daniels Band) my husband and I were going to go to this Saturday in NC has been cancelled
sad.png

It was our 6th anniversary thing… we even were going to take the boys to his dad's house for the night… and we never get sitters for anything or do anything just the two of us. I was really looking forward to this… Even splurged and got the VIP passes. I love Travis Tritt's music. Looks like our Saturday is WIDE open now! Oh wait… chicks should be hatching Saturday and Sunday. Things just got a bit brighter.

Oh Man!
sad.png
I would LOVE to see Travis Tritt. It has been years since I've seen him in concert. He was one of my favorite concerts, but he hasn't been around in a long time. Why was the concert cancelled? Good luck with the chicks. That is exciting.

I will sure miss Bee. She always gave sound, practical advice. I hope she will occasionally peek in the window and see what a beautiful group she has brought together here on the front porch.
I am staying here for at least a little while.

AND

I have an interview!!
Unfortunately it is on Wednesday, July 2, so I will be burning all my remaining vacation time to drive back to WI for it. But at least I have the vacation time to do this. Keep you rfingers crossed taht I get the job.

wyoDreamer~Praying for you and your job!!!

I have stuff going on right now here at home... so am being quiet right now. Basically its hotter than heck and someone forgot to turn the AC on.... So I am draggin laggin and saggin....

Normally heat doesnt bother me but Grandma insists that when its hot all the doors windows and shades MUST be drawn... so not only is it hot its stuffy.

AC rectified and my energy is coming back.

deb

Oh Man!
sad.png
I would LOVE to see Travis Tritt. It has been years since I've seen him in concert. He was one of my favorite concerts, but he hasn't been around in a long time. Why was the concert cancelled? Good luck with the chicks. That is exciting.
Yup, he is my favorite. The first and last time I saw him was in 2001 at the Fond du Lac County Fair. They keep saying it is because of unforeseen circumstances… makes me wonder if someone forgot to buy a permit. The setting was going to be perfect for us, amphitheater, grassy hill to sit on a blanket. Nothing wild and crazy. I know he was doing some acoustic concerts for a while. It would make my year if I could make it to one of those!

My mom used to walk into my house and grab the broom. When first married, i took it as a sign that she didn't think my house keeping was up to par. (it's not, but that's an other story!) Over time, i came to realize that that was her love language: Acts of service. If you want a good read, check out "The Five Love Languages" by Gary Chapman. It's a great read about understanding how folks perceive and express love.
Any how, I digress... After a while, i accepted it as her way of helping out. If she were alive today, i'd love to hand her my broom!

If I could design the perfect kitchen, it would be all stainless steel, with a huge drain in the middle of the floor, and a high pressure hose with optional soap. After a meal, i could have folks clear out, and just hose everything down, including the plates and silverware. Single step clean up! Oh, and i'd invite young children to stay for the clean up. They could get the hose as well, take care of the evening showers, and get their clothes clean at the same time. For that matter, the dog could stay if i had one!!

We were told about that book in a bible study class me n hubby attended called nearly wed/newly wed class they taught about the different love language and referenced that book. I think I'll put it in my to get books, thanks for mentioning it

Back
Top Bottom