The Frugal Small Flock SOP Breeder

What have you done to prepare for them?
Does it cost anything here in MO?
How long will it take to get the results?
Why are you having it done?
Do they only test the adults?
Do you have to have some separated for them to test or do they catch them themselves?
Do you also have ducks? Do they test ducks too?
I probably have a lot more questions but that's all I can think of right now. LOL Hope you don't mind.
I've done nothing special to prepare except that I'll keep the birds in buildings where I can catch them for drawing blood.
They said it should take a week for results.
So I can legally ship eggs and live birds around the country.
Yes, just birds over 4 months of age.
I have to catch them all, hand off the bird and on to the next.
Don't know about ducks but I don't have any.
Don't mind at all. That's how we learn.

I love breeds with a lot of colors! Modern Games come in a TON of colors, such as black, birchen, brown red, lemon blue, barred, crele, BB red, wheaten, red pyle, and more! They are so addictive!
A couple of the most beautiful and multi colored birds I've had were the offspring of a light Jaerhon and black penedesenca cross. Life's like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're going to get.

I'm not sure I qualify as "frugal" or "small flock," but I'd call myself "hands-off" or "lazy" about the breeding. That doesn't mean I'm not aiming for some quality ... and I'm curious if I can get quality out of my "lazy" approach.
You can, it will just take many more generations.

Strict pedigreeing is key.

I'm not sure I qualify as "frugal" or "small flock," but I'd call myself "hands-off" or "lazy" about the breeding. That doesn't mean I'm not aiming for some quality ... and I'm curious if I can get quality out of my "lazy" approach.

I started a breeding program this spring with a trio of project-quality breeding birds in their own coop/run.

Soon I'll divide the breeder coop/run into two sections so I can set up one part with the original two breeding females and one of their cockerels (presuming I get a cockerel worth breeding); I'll put the sire and some of the best pullets in the other part (presuming I get some pullets I think I can make progress with).

You can, it will just take many more generations.

Strict pedigreeing is key.

Starting with only 3 birds there was nothing much to do this season but hatch chicks. Now there is nothing much to do but let them mature. This is when I'll be studying the SOP for my breed ... because the "real" work for me will begin when I have to make choices about which birds to beed. And after that, when I have more than 1.5 generations to keep straight and things are less obvious I suppose there will be opportunities for confusion and I'll have to figure out which system of tagging the birds will make the most sense for us. So far I've just got zip ties on the original 3 breeders.

Right now I'm leaning toward putting wing bands on the future chicks ...

Starting with only 3 birds there was nothing much to do this season but hatch chicks. Now there is nothing much to do but let them mature. This is when I'll be studying the SOP for my breed ... because the "real" work for me will begin when I have to make choices about which birds to beed. And after that, when I have more than 1.5 generations to keep straight and things are less obvious I suppose there will be opportunities for confusion and I'll have to figure out which system of tagging the birds will make the most sense for us. So far I've just got zip ties on the original 3 breeders.

Right now I'm leaning toward putting wing bands on the future chicks ...
Most people claim wing bands are the way to go. I use colored zip ties till they're old enough for numbered leg bands. Leg bands aren't perfect but easier for me to read from afar. I've never used wing bands but I imaging I'd have to handle the bird to read them so I can pedigree eggs.
Have you looked into trap nesting for when you have more birds?

My recommendation would be to get at least a pair of nice birds from another source so you can develop 2 lines for line breeding.

Most people claim wing bands are the way to go. I use colored zip ties till they're old enough for numbered leg bands. Leg bands aren't perfect but easier for me to read from afar. I've never used wing bands but I imaging I'd have to handle the bird to read them so I can pedigree eggs.
Have you looked into trap nesting for when you have more birds?

My recommendation would be to get at least a pair of nice birds from another source so you can develop 2 lines for line breeding.

The reason I like the idea of the wing bands is because I'd only have to handle the bird the once until I move it into a breeding pen ... unless there was another problem. At the point of the move, I'd read the tag and decide which pen to move it to. My goal being to not have a lot of little pens with confined & stressed-out birds. I'd like the birds to only have to adjust to one or two moves in a lifetime.

I don't know of another "nice" line of the breed I've chosen to work on -- I've been looking and am hoping the breed club will get more active so I can see more photos of more birds in the breed -- the breed "needs a lot of work." I'm thinking working a second flock would be twice the work, making my operation twice as big ... on top of the egg flock, which is already large enough IMO. I can see how that might produce faster results ... either forwards or backwards.

My plan is based on how Bob Blosl recommended someone get started by going slowly. I think Bob's article said it will be a couple generations before a breeder might want to bring in fresh genetics.

What would be the main advantages to making things bigger and more complicated?

Back
Top Bottom