The frustrations of selling eggs.

Oblio13

Crowing
15 Years
Jan 26, 2008
New Hampshire
My six-year-old boy wanted to earn money to buy Leggos, and I figured this would be a good learning opportunity for him. The deal is that he helps with the chicken chores and I help him to pack and ship some Marans eggs. He's required to go to the feed store with me and use a third of money to buy chicken feed, to save a third for college, and he can spend the final third.

Of course, right about then the laying really slowed down. We're only getting about one egg a day from four hens.

But, we sold some to a nice lady. She drove a long way to pick them up. Then hardly any hatched for her. She's disappointed. We're disappointed.

Then we listed some on Ebay. Got a great price. We wrapped them so they could survive a nuclear explosion and conscientiously drove to the P.O. to priority-mail them first thing on a Monday morning. The postage was less than we'd anticipated, so we mailed her a check for the difference, too. But I wasn't bright enough to insure the package or request tracking info. The package never arrived, so we refunded her money. I don't think we got ripped off, but I can't help but wonder. (At the same time, she's probably wondering if we ever really mailed the package.) So, she's disappointed, we wasted our time, and we paid the Post Office to lose a package.

I know there are a lot of people out there with dollar signs in their eyes while they wait for their Marans to start laying. It's not as easy as they might think.

sad.png

I'm sorry. That all stinks. Maybe a light to make your hens kick up production until the legos are in hand?

hugs.gif

edited to add- Aren't you a great mom to be teaching your son about saving! Go you!

Last edited:
Ouch. Hard lessons for a little guy.

Don't give up!

Everything I mail goes delivery confirmation at a minimum with priority mail.

Selling eggs is a great opportunity for your son to learn. This you already know. I encouage you to no give up. Try again! Let him see success.

Hello! Sorry to hear that! But something I learned the hard way is to ALWAYS get a confirmation number. I hate to tell you this, but ten bucks says that lady got those eggs. SO many people do this unfortunately...buy something, pay by paypal...item comes without a shipping confirmation and then they claim they never got it to get a full refund plus free eggs. It's your word against theirs and they can give you negative feedback if you don't refund and give them what they want. I have had this happen FIRST HAND on E-bay several times, so I know. It's ashame, but people do it all the time. Now I always get a confirmation number and wouldn't you know, they ALWAYS get the shipment!

Well I haven't mailed any eggs but I can say I've already learned a lesson from your post. Always use delivery confirmation. Especially on pricey packages.

I don't know if this will help or not, but if you are shipping something you sold on ebay and print out your label from ebay, your confirmation is free with the postage so you can both track the package.

I'm sorry about the eggs. I like the lesson you are teaching your son.

If you can print postage from internet you actually save a little $ and you get free delivery conformation. I almost always use it you can also print labels with delivery confimation and then pay for postage at PO.
Guess we were typing at the same time.

www.usps.com

Last edited:
M@M@2four :

Hello! Sorry to hear that! But something I learned the hard way is to ALWAYS get a confirmation number. I hate to tell you this, but ten bucks says that lady got those eggs. SO many people do this unfortunately...buy something, pay by paypal...item comes without a shipping confirmation and then they claim they never got it to get a full refund plus free eggs. It's your word against theirs and they can give you negative feedback if you don't refund and give them what they want. I have had this happen FIRST HAND on E-bay several times, so I know. It's ashame, but people do it all the time. Now I always get a confirmation number and wouldn't you know, they ALWAYS get the shipment!

She has all positive feedback and I hate to think ill of her, but the thought has crossed my mind. I've never had a package just disappear into thin air before.​

Back
Top Bottom