The Giant Junglefowl Gallus karabachensis?

May 14, 2019
North Florida
Gallus karabachensis is listed in literature as the extinct “giant junglefowl,” not to be confused with the theoretical Gallus giganteus.

I cannot find any fossil pictures or descriptions online except for the name being on lists of extinct birds in the genus Gallus. Anyone know anything about it?

I am finding more by removing “giant junglefowl” from my search terms and only searching the scientific name, but so far nothing more than “hey we found some new Gallus species and this is one of them.”

Very interesting! I have not heard of that. I wonder how ‘giant?’ I’m picturing the chicken from the Harryhaussn movie of ‘mysterious island’
5FE67FC3-36F1-4853-9ABC-94D168E9285E.jpeg

I have found one brief analysis by a Russian scientist that believes the species wasn’t a junglefowl at all, but was instead a partridge. However, the same scientist also says that she confirmed a red junglefowl fossil from a cave in the Caucasus, which is itself interesting.

Of course, she may be wrong. Russian scientists often march to the beat of their own drummers and say things that aren’t widely accepted by the Western scientific community. This is just the only sort of analysis of any sort I’ve found about the “giant junglefowl.”

View attachment 3449303

I have found one brief analysis by a Russian scientist that believes the species wasn’t a junglefowl at all, but was instead a partridge. However, the same scientist also says that she confirmed a red junglefowl fossil from a cave in the Caucasus, which is itself interesting.

Of course, she may be wrong. Russian scientists often march to the beat of their own drummers and say things that aren’t widely accepted by the Western scientific community. This is just the only sort of analysis of any sort I’ve found about the “giant junglefowl.”
Intriguing but as you say, short on detail. I’ll be interested to see if you turn up anything else!

Back
Top Bottom