The girls are fightinggggg no seriously they won't stop beating up my new male

knowvagale

Songster
Apr 24, 2020
Austin, Texas
I just picked up two new birds from a friend—an injured female, who has a nasty but healing shoulder wound, and a male who is a known trouble maker. Previously, I had two birds in my loft, two females who are paired off with each other, primarily, I had assumed, because of the lack of male company. One of these girls, Genni, has been known to get a bit aggressive with new birds, but has never caused any serious damage. Partly because I didn't want the injured female's wound to reopen if she got picked on, and partly because I wanted to monitor her since I didn't know how bad the injury was, I decided to keep the new female inside for a little while. What I had not anticipated was that the new male might be a target of significant bullying. If anything, I was worried he'd pick on the girls, so I threw him in the loft, and when I noticed the two girls chasing him around a bit I wasn't too worried, figuring they'd just work things out. Unfortunately I had drastically underestimated the rage of the lesbian couple, who are not at all on board with having a specifically engineered homewrecker inserted purposefully into their relationship. They're both pissed. I came home today to find evidence of their heinous crimes splattered all around the loft. Jokes aside, there was a genuinely concerning amount of blood. I knew Genni was a bit aggressive about her territory but she had never drawn blood when introduced to new birds in the past. I inspected the victim and the only wound I found was a pretty small one next to his right eye, but there could be more hidden by his feathers, especially considering the amount of blood around the loft. He's looking in a pretty bad way. Tail feathers a little frayed, he's frazzled enough that he lets me pick him up without even trying to walk away. Anyway, poor thing's being harassed. I don't have an extra cage, the new girl is in a storage crate filled with straw in the house and I think it would be worse to put him with her, since he might pick her wound open. Any advice? Should I just let them work it out or will he get beat up too bad if I do that?

I just picked up two new birds from a friend—an injured female, who has a nasty but healing shoulder wound, and a male who is a known trouble maker. Previously, I had two birds in my loft, two females who are paired off with each other, primarily, I had assumed, because of the lack of male company. One of these girls, Genni, has been known to get a bit aggressive with new birds, but has never caused any serious damage. Partly because I didn't want the injured female's wound to reopen if she got picked on, and partly because I wanted to monitor her since I didn't know how bad the injury was, I decided to keep the new female inside for a little while. What I had not anticipated was that the new male might be a target of significant bullying. If anything, I was worried he'd pick on the girls, so I threw him in the loft, and when I noticed the two girls chasing him around a bit I wasn't too worried, figuring they'd just work things out. Unfortunately I had drastically underestimated the rage of the lesbian couple, who are not at all on board with having a specifically engineered homewrecker inserted purposefully into their relationship. They're both pissed. I came home today to find evidence of their heinous crimes splattered all around the loft. Jokes aside, there was a genuinely concerning amount of blood. I knew Genni was a bit aggressive about her territory but she had never drawn blood when introduced to new birds in the past. I inspected the victim and the only wound I found was a pretty small one next to his right eye, but there could be more hidden by his feathers, especially considering the amount of blood around the loft. He's looking in a pretty bad way. Tail feathers a little frayed, he's frazzled enough that he lets me pick him up without even trying to walk away. Anyway, poor thing's being harassed. I don't have an extra cage, the new girl is in a storage crate filled with straw in the house and I think it would be worse to put him with her, since he might pick her wound open. Any advice? Should I just let them work it out or will he get beat up too bad if I do that?
What type of birds are we talking about?
I would think to separate the birds. Take the injured one out of the situation. It would seem like it would get worse?

What type of birds are we talking about?
I would think to separate the birds. Take the injured one out of the situation. It would seem like it would get worse?
Pigeons! Sorry, I forgot to specify. The injured female is already being kept separately, I don't really have anywhere I can put the male who is being picked on, but I will see what I can put together.

OK, update! I don't think my resident females are completely at fault for the all the blood. I took a closer look at the male and it looks like the source of the blood is actually one of his claws, which I'm guessing got caught in the wire of the cage walls or something while he was scuffling with the females. The bloody spot near his eye is probably actually because he was scratching there with his bloody foot, instead of being a separate wound. I'll get his foot patched up, and hopefully that will be the end of it.

Ok I would. And I guessed you were talking about pigeons but wasn’t sure🙃
OK, update! I don't think my resident females are completely at fault for the all the blood. I took a closer look at the male and it looks like the source of the blood is actually one of his claws, which I'm guessing got caught in the wire of the cage walls or something while he was scuffling with the females. The bloody spot near his eye is probably actually because he was scratching there with his bloody foot, instead of being a separate wound. I'll get his foot patched up, and hopefully that will be the end of it.
Hopefully that will solve all your problems. I don’t know anything about pigeons but let us know if they get along better after he gets patched up.

Back
Top Bottom