The golden comets a little more than two years old, starting to lay thin shelled eggs

Thanks for sharing your experience. So far the GC is doing well, although she is going through a moult. The four are all the same age and two (including the hen I mentioned) is having some 'hiccups' in their egg laying system. My GCs also turned two not that long ago (back in June I believe).

For me the egg laying aspects of the hens is a 'nice side benefit' but the primary reason I have my chickens is they are basically very well-cared for outdoor pets. I'd like to have them continue with me as long as they reasonably can.
My last GC is on the downhill road. She has the same symptoms as the other one that died. Staying on the roost today, lethargic, swollen belly and growing in her molt. Poor girl.

They are not machines and egg laying is just a bodily function, and it shifts and fluctuates like any bodily function. It can be slightly influenced by the diet, but not as heavily as some posters indicate. It is rather like drinking a soda once a week is not going to give osteoporosis.

You do get thin eggs, and shell-less eggs. You can treat it or not treat it and in a while it will go away.

You are not going to keep these birds alive forever. They do tend to live about 2 and 1/2 to 3 years +/-. Do the best you can by them, and don't worry about it. As my granddaughter say, 'well that is tough, but now we can get chicks!'

I think your feed is fine. I think this year they will slow down during the dark days of winter, but may still give a couple of eggs per week, several will probably live through the winter, but some might not. A lot of people seem to like real old chickens, but they suffer quite a bit too.

Give em a good home, enjoy them, but realize they are not real long lived birds.

Mrs K

They are not machines and egg laying is just a bodily function, and it shifts and fluctuates like any bodily function. It can be slightly influenced by the diet, but not as heavily as some posters indicate. It is rather like drinking a soda once a week is not going to give osteoporosis.

You do get thin eggs, and shell-less eggs. You can treat it or not treat it and in a while it will go away.

You are not going to keep these birds alive forever. They do tend to live about 2 and 1/2 to 3 years +/-. Do the best you can by them, and don't worry about it. As my granddaughter say, 'well that is tough, but now we can get chicks!'

I think your feed is fine. I think this year they will slow down during the dark days of winter, but may still give a couple of eggs per week, several will probably live through the winter, but some might not. A lot of people seem to like real old chickens, but they suffer quite a bit too.

Give em a good home, enjoy them, but realize they are not real long lived birds.

Mrs K
Thank you for your wise outlook on chicken keeping. I am only 2+ years in. Have enjoyed seeing a broody hatch and mother 4 chicks, but she was predated. It's been quite a learning experience, and I am thankful for this group and all the wisdom and knowledge herein. Many losses, many gains, lots of eggs and entertainment.

My last GC is on the downhill road. She has the same symptoms as the other one that died. Staying on the roost today, lethargic, swollen belly and growing in her molt. Poor girl.
So sorry to hear it :-(. All the creatures I've raised over the years, each of their passings is never easy. It reminds me of I believe it's an old Taoist quote,. "if you pluck up just one blade of grass - 10,000 worlds will come with it...". Have always liked the notion that every single life that exists is of great consequence no matter how small or seemingly insignificant it may seem....

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom